• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

Adaptec’s Series 8 line are 12Gb/s RAID adapters featuring an end-to-end PMC architecture that incorporates PMC’s I/O protocol controllers, RoC controllers, SAS expanders, and software. The Adaptec Series 8 cards boast a significant performance improvement compared to its previous generation of adaptors, as they are quoted to be significantly faster than their predecessors. The Series 8 cards are also equipped with maxCache Plus technology, which supports both caching and tiering functionality and allows IT managers, system integrators, and ISV's to reap the fastest performance and best overall value from their storage systems. maxCache Plus also provides users the flexibility to configure their storage devices in server environments as well as allowing  the fastest media to be used as storage instead of only cache. As a result, this maximizes the potential of the newest 12Gb/s drives on the market.

Adaptec Series 8 RAID Controllers Review

#2 gdbellau

gdbellau

• 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:00 AM

Hey Kevin,

Just a quick comment / observation..

You are testing / reviewing the RAID controller.. Just interested why you did all your tests over the network eg iSCSI, SMB, NFS etc.. ?

I really liked seeing the performance figures of the NAS (more real world) but I was really interested on where the RAID cards bottleneck..

eg. By adding in SSD drives one by one.

eg RAID 1

1 SSD800MM = 120,000 IOPS 4k Read

2 SSD800MM = 180,000 IOPS 4k Read

3 etc

Then a RAID 5 comparison, 6, No Raid.. etc

Also compared against LSI in the same type of configuration.

Anyway.. Great Test..

I'm looking at setting up the similar configuration as well.. But looking at the using the supermicro 2RU Twin servers (dual port sas drives) as a 2012 r2 storage servers

Cheers

#3 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:01 PM

One of the areas we're moving into for device level testing is moving away from in-system synthetic benchmarks and more towards what the card/device can do in a real-world environment. This piece started with just wanting to know for a given storage solution, how much of it is usable if you used it as a file server. For that reason we looked at iSCSI vs SMB3 vs NFS in this particular piece. We have another platform built up now that will be used to leverage storage devices into our VMmark, SQL Server, and Oracle DB test environments to show how things behave with standard levels of inefficiency passing through a network.

#4 ilaurens

ilaurens

• 3 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

I am still doubting about the one that I want to buy:

I was thinking about this one: 81605ZQ but 8885Q is also interesting. Technically I have space for 8 disks, so more than that is not needed. But the possibilities is eating on me :P

The 8805 offers expansion that means when I need more space I can get a expander and add more disks, this is rather interesting. But the 81605ZQ offers more slots. I want to get one that I can reuse in the future. 

Do you have any suggestions? Can I use a sas slot of 81605ZQ(internal) connected to a sas expender?

#5 BOE

BOE

• 16 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for posting your review.  To have any idea if that adaptec card is any good, it would be extremely helpful if those benchmarks were shown along with a comparably LSI card.   From the review I know it can be used as a controller but I have no idea if it is even 5% as good as an LSI card. 

#6 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

We're running more data on the adaptec cards now actually as we morph the he a and raid card review process.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#7 BOE

BOE

• 16 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:00 PM

Thanks.  I just found a benchmark.   Hopefully LSI will come out with a new 16i controller.   Google tweaktown lsi megaraid 9361-8i

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users