• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,443 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

The Supermicro LSI SAS3008 HBAs (which share the same controller as the LSI 9300-8i HBAs) are engineered to deliver maximum performance. Delivering over a million IOPS and 6000+MB/s, the cards are designed to meet the growing demands of enterprises that require even more robust throughput in a range of applications that includes transactional databases, Web 2.0, data mining, and video streaming and editing. The AOC-S3008L-L8i (internal) and AOC-S3008L-L8e (external) include mini-SAS HD connectors in accordance with the SAS 3.0 standard, and ship in low-profile form factors. Further, each HBA delivers 8 lanes of PCIe 3.0 in order to achieve maximum throughput. The LSI SAS 3008 controller supports 8 lanes of PCIe 3.0 and provides SATA/SAS links at rates between 3 and 12Gb/s and supports RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 10 in the IR version. 

Supermicro LSI SAS3008 HBA Review

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 roguesmci

roguesmci

• 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

Finally, someone reviews this new Supermicro add-on card!

Really nice read too

Minor typo, "LAOC-S3008L-L8x Specifications:" (should remove the "L" before "AOC"?)

#3 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

Made that quick edit, thanks!

Glad you enjoyed this review. This particular card will be the upcoming cornerstone of our SAS3 performance testing. So far I've not seen any major differences (besides color) between it and the LSI 9300-8i. I actually updated the firmware/bios on it a couple of weeks ago for optimal CentOS 6.3 performance.

#4 mejv

mejv

• 261 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:44 PM

Is there going to be a comparo of the stock LSI controller and the SuperMicro 12G SAS one in a near future?

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,443 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

Same chip and same firmware, there should not be a difference. 

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 unexpectedly

unexpectedly

• 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

Hi Brian, great review, thanks!

You say the controller isn't available separately? Yet google shows the AOC-S3008-L8i available for sale... what are your thoughts? I got a new server (Lenovo RD430) and am about to get a controller for RAID 10.

Thanks,

Chris

#7 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:47 PM

Its not officially supported that way, although it looks like some Supermicro resellers do list it as a separate component.

#8 unexpectedly

unexpectedly

• 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

Oh wow... oops, the one I got is the next newer model for $201. Then another $30 for the pair of mini SAS to mini SAS HD cables I'll need for my Lenovo RD430... Since it has a PCIe 3.0 slot, I figure this will future proof me a little. I plan on throwing 6x 300GB Seagates at it in RAID 10. (I already have some of the Seagates hence my choice)  My current home-grown raid solution with an old HPT RocketRaid will move to back-up duty.

Thanks!

Chris

Edited by unexpectedly, 18 March 2014 - 05:07 AM.

#9 unexpectedly

unexpectedly

• 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:11 AM

I've got my server working. It's running debian (LMDE, actually) and I have a zfs set up on the controller. I re-flashed the raid card to IT mode & talk about it here. Started moving files over from the old server and after one final backup, will switch to new raid for production. 

My old raid is a highpoint rocketraid 3510 and I'm not too impressed with LSI's bios operation (plain UI, takes way too long to "boot") but given how rarely one is supposed to see that, I consider it anecdotal at best.

#10 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

Personally I'll take long boot times over a failed sub-tier RAID card taking all my data with it any day of the week ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users