Photo

My intel 520 series 480GB shows only 357 GB...?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 AndersEik

AndersEik

• 18 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

Hello guys,

I have just built a new computer with intel ssd 520 series 480 GB,

But it shows only total size 357 GB and now it shows only 83 Gb left after only installing all together 100 gb on the ssd.

What is going on??

Please help me with this guys,

Anders 

Attached File  ssd 1.JPG   29.08KB   0 downloads

#2 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

Where did you buy the SSD? Everything about that screams a possible knockoff product.

#3 AndersEik

AndersEik

• 18 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

Thats what I am affraid of. But what kind of disck is this than if it is not Intel 520 580?

Attached File  ssd strange.JPG   83.28KB   0 downloads

How should I proceed if this seller has ripped me off?

AndersEik

#4 AndersEik

AndersEik

• 18 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

Is there a way for me to check the SSD specifications through windows? I want to be shure before making a case of it on ebay. 

AndersEik

#5 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

If you go in through computer management, right click the C drive and look at properties. What is the drive name?

Also if there is no warranty breaking stickers on the SSD covering any screw holes, pop off the top cover and take a picture.

#6 AndersEik

AndersEik

• 18 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

I can`t open it right now but this is the information from both firmware information and device properties:

I have neer heard of intel ssd 520 series 384! 384? I have googled it but it doesn`t show up anywhere.

Attached File  SSD firmware update information 1.jpg   282.9KB   0 downloads

Attached File  SSD info.JPG   44.22KB   0 downloads

AndersEik

#7 AndersEik

AndersEik

• 18 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:54 PM

You can`t see anything on that picture, but it says:

Model Number:              intel SSD 520 Series 384GB

Firmware:                       400i

The firmware on this intel SSD is up to date

Serial Number:                CVCV308204JY480DGN

#8 AndersEik

AndersEik

• 18 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

And this is my Benchmark results, How do they look? Have I baught a fake or is there some hidden space, some configuration stinker I need to figure out?

Attached Files

#9 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

I'd probably pop it open and look, but that capacity doesn't make sense at all, nor does its behavior.

#10 AndersEik

AndersEik

• 18 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

And what should I look for? Whould you care to elaborate its behavior?

Thank you for your time by the way.

Anders

#11 AndersEik

AndersEik

• 18 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

Hi, I got this message frpm the seller.

Seller's message:
"You have to go into the drive and get rid of the extra partitions. If you need help you can call and talk to our tech and he can walk you through this. 248-305-7900 mon-fri 9am-5pm est Thank you"

What do you think about this? Sounds strange to me. 100 gb in another partition?

Anders

Edited by AndersEik, 30 January 2014 - 02:57 PM.

#12 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

I'd pay close attention to what the Intel/SandForce controller looks like as well as the Intel NAND.

And by behavior I'm talking its capacity issues. Those are huge red flags for knockoff flash products.

Post a screenshot from computer manager in Windows.

#13 AndersEik

AndersEik

• 18 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

Attached File  Computer mange.JPG   77.43KB   0 downloads

#14 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

Yea there is no extra partition on that SSD taking up the many many GB of missing space. I'd push for a return as a fake SSD sold to you.

#15 AndersEik

AndersEik

• 18 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

Seller's message:

"The drive is only seeing the 357Gb at this time, once you completely wipe the drive and get rid of all the partitions it will come up as 480GB. There are a lot of forums with information on google about this with SSD drives"

previous conversations

Attached File  seller.JPG   46.2KB   0 downloads

Hm, what should I do. I could always try and wipe it, it won`t harm in case he might be right. But I don`t know hot to do that really. I have my OS on ssd, so if I should try the sellers advice, what would be the best way? 

Thank you for your time, I really apreciate it!

Anders

#16 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

That seller is nuts and trying to scam you. Unless he "accidentally" over-provisioned the drive (which most people in their right mind wouldn't do) there is no reason for the capacity to be messed up like that. On top of it, you aren't even getting the remaining 357GB from the SSD either, as seen by your space remaining. That drive is a knock-off and no other thing will fix it.

That raw device is showing up as ~380GB before partitioning.

#17 AndersEik

AndersEik

• 18 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:36 PM

He told me he has been in contact with the tech guys he is working with. "Did you go to the Intel website and download Intel SSD Toolkit? I just talked to our tech and you have to get the Intel SSD Toolkit which you can download off the Intel website. The SSD drives hold back a certain amount of space for crash purposes, you can unlock that space with the toolkit. Hope this helps"

I did, and this is what i get. What do you reed from this?

Attached File  Intel toolkit.JPG   81.43KB   0 downloads

#18 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

There is nothing more I can help with. He is stringing you along as best I can tell, and the things he is having you do to fix the drive wouldn't happen to any new Intel SSD.

#19 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

I think that's the point...the drive has been used or otherwise altered. You *may* be able to get access to the entire capacity but the question is, is this what you paid for?

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#20 AndersEik

AndersEik

• 18 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:17 PM

No, It is not good. Thank you for your time. I will sleep on it and contact some computer guys tomorrow and ask them to look in to it. 

Thank you!

Anders

#21 AndersEik

AndersEik

• 18 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:44 PM

Hey, I just got this information from the seller, it seems like I am an idot since not noticing. It explains the price.

"...This was sold as a used SSD not new, that's why there was no original box. We received about 50 of these from our client, they are an off lease item."

With this new info, will it make a different concerning wiping and deleting partitions?

Anders

#22 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:07 PM

Unless their client repackeged the wrong SSD inside the metal box, that isn't the drive you were sold. That secure erase theory won't even work here, because even if that previous client did a low-level over-provision, a secure erase wouldnt change its capacity. It also doesnt add up that not only is the capacity less, but after Windows was installed there is only 83GB free.

There are so many red flags here that it boggles my mind.

Right now I really, really want to see what is inside that SSD case. I have a strong feeling someone messed with the partition mapping of a smaller capacity SSD to make it look larger.

Also the part I'm really unclear about is why this SSD was purchased used in the first place now that you mention it. Are you not located in the US and are just dealing with higher international pricing?

http://www.amazon.co...aps,k:480gb ssd

#23 AndersEik

AndersEik

• 18 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:51 AM

I am located in Helsinki actually. 

I wasn`t aware I baught it used before yesterday and it beeing used is not a problem for me in the first place, but this situation makes a problem. I will wait for his tech people to contact me and see what they have to say. After that i will come back to you. 

Anders

#24 AndersEik

AndersEik

• 18 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

"Hello have you downloaded the intel toolbox? if so please try the secure wipe feature. I have been talking with intel tech support about this issue it would seem as their was a hidden partition loaded on these drives. I was able to download a DOS program called HDAT2_50 that allowed me to see the hidden partition and then reset drive to its full capacity after which I created a ntfs partition on it and formatted it to its full capacity. If you do not feel comfortable in doing any of this I truly understand and would offer to replace it with another drive which has been done already. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Could you help me through this?

#25 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 632 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

1) I know there is an option for a hidden flag, but IDK if that hides the partition from Window's disk management.

Gparted should work as well. Download the Gparted ISO and put it on a usb stick or cd. HDAT2_50 looks to be DOS based which can be harder to use.

http://gparted.org/

Boot into gparted and check what partitions it shows the SSD as(You may have select the drive first). 

I know there is an option for a hidden flag, but IDK if that hides the partition from Window's disk management.

2) If gparted doesn't show any extra partitions on the SSD, open up the drive and look for anything off. It is very easy to do and will not harm the drive or the data(assumming you don't damage the drive ).

It should have similar components as pictured in the review:

http://www.storagere..._ssd_520_review

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users