DMX VNX

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 l3g4to

l3g4to

• 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

Hi, I am new to this forum and an Enterprise Storage newbie so I am sorry if my questions are not very technically correct.

Could someone explain the general difference between a DMX3000 and for example a VNX like the VNX5700 in terms of general performance and availability aspects?

Please find also my additional more specific questions below:

1. The VNX has two controllers, as I recall if one of them fails then the performance of the device falls by 50%. How to interpert this? Does this mean that having 10000 IOPS our performance would drop to about 5000 IOPS?

2. How many controllers does the DMX3000 have? What happens if one of them fails?

3. Does the DMX3000 have a storage tiering capability like the VNX Fast Cache or anything similar?

4. What VNX like device would be the most comparable in terms of performance and availability to the DMX3000?

5. What VNX configuration would you suggest to replace an old DMX3000?

Thank you in advance for all answers!

#2 ColinGallagher

ColinGallagher

• 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

The main differences between VNX and the DMX (and it's successor, the VMAX) are from an architectural stand point, the VNX has a dual controller architecture and the DMX and VMAX have multi-controller architectures. As you note the VNX 5700 has 2 controllers. The DMX-3 can have from 2 to 8 disk directors, which are rough equivalents of a VNX "controller". 

With this is architectural difference, the VNX delivers on 5 nines availability whereas the VMAX has greater than 5 nines availability.
From a performance perspective, the VNX offers a lower $/GB, $/IOP and $/MB whereas the VMAX offers the maximum scale and performance.
The VMAX and DMX lines also support some additional host environments such as IBM z/OS Mainframe and iSeries.

LUN level tiering is available on the DMX and sub-LUN, automated tiering available on the VMAX line.

Depending on the configuration of your DMX-3 either a VNX or a VMAX might be a suitable replacement, but we'd need more information such as capacity, performance and workload requirements to make a more specific recommendation.  Please reach out to me directly or on the VMAX Community and we can discuss further.

Colin

Edited by ColinGallagher, 24 January 2014 - 12:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users