Photo

WD 4TB Green Or WD 4TB Red ? please help.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 meridiusuk

meridiusuk

• 15 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:00 PM

Hi all

So i am going to get a 4TB WD but i dont know which drive is best the greens or the reds.
I dont have a NAS just a PC with lots a hardrives in there and acts as a server.
can anyone help of give me some info on what drives ok. I have a couple of WD 3TB greens but i can not seem to find any reviews of the 4TB greens just the reds.
thanks for any help

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,744 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

WD would like you to buy the Green for in-host system, non-NAS. The Reds will work, people here have reported them as such, but there are times with certain RAID cards where they're funny and because WD doesn't want them in your PC, support is suspect. Seagate has fewer misgivings from what I can tell with their NAS drives in-system.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 MRFS

MRFS

• 190 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

Toshiba 4TB, maybe?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822149493

#4 Mkruer

Mkruer

• 264 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

I have been running my WD20EARS (2 TB Green) for +32000hrs 3.6 years with zero errors.  For me the trick disable the systems power saving so the drives only go to idle and do now shut down. I try to avoid the spin up/down (Standby/Sleep) as that seems to kill all drives faster in my experiences.

If I had to buy right now, I think I would get the Red over the Green mainly for the extra 1yr warranty for +$10USD in price. However the same rules above still apply.

I hear that in February Seagate is going to release the 5TB.

Lian-Li PC-V2000 Plus Aluminum Case; Seasonic S12 Energy+ 550 PSU; Asus M4A785TD-V EVO; Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition C3 @ 4.0Ghz ; Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Rev.C; 8GB OCZ AMD Black Edition @ 1333Mhz; Creative Audigy 2 ZS; Sapphire Radeon HD 5770; 1xOCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX180G; 1xWestern Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB; 2xWestern Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB; Western Digital WDG1U3200 My Book Essential Edition 320GB USB 2.0; Samsung STORY Station 2TB USB 3.0.

#5 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

I hear that in February Seagate is going to release the 5TB.

Any sources? If it's a shingled magnetic recording drive then that would suck...

#6 Mickey

Mickey

<a href=

• Patron
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

Why would shingled MR suck?

#7 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,744 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

Shingled drives today are meant for sequential workloads primarily. 

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#8 redhotiron2004

redhotiron2004

• 8 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:18 AM

Just go with Reds for server. They are tested for 24*7 operation. And are more reliable and less of a gamble compared to greens.

Personally, I would avoid there green drives at all cost. They Are much less reliable than the blues and blacks and people choose them because they cost the least.

These green drives are also used for audio and video surveillance systems. As such they are bad for keeping storage of your important data for longer periods. I won't trust them because they have a greater probability to corrupt your data which is not a huge concern for video surveillance or keeping Audio, video content etc.

There is a reason why they have been differentiated by WD on the basis of colour. Just go with the product that is suited according to colour.

Sent from my MK16i using Tapatalk 2

#9 JJ Johnson

JJ Johnson

• 42 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

In my experience, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the less expensive Green drive. I've had many of the WD Green series of drives in continuous use in a non-RAID 24/7 powered server, without a single failure. The drives are all allowed to spin down when not in use.

WD10EACS x 2, in use for about 5 years

WD15EADS x 1 (+1 in an external enclosure for backups), in use for 4 years

WD20EARS x 5, in use variously for 1-3.5 years

Several of the WD20EARS were purchased used. I also have a number of Samsung 2TB F3EG (HD203WI) drives that have been just as reliable.

The only drive failures I've had in recent years have been a 1TB WD Black and a 740GB WD Raptor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users