• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

The WD My Cloud EX4 is a four-bay NAS designed for power users and small offices that builds on WD's new My Cloud platform. With a full array of applications and easy-setup design, the My Cloud EX4 offers a feature-rich, stable, and secure network storage solution of up to 16TB. Building on the design philosophy of its smaller sister, the EX4 retains the My Cloud's ease of use while offering an expansion of up to 4 total bays, a dual power supply, and additional data management features. WD aims to make the EX4 a performer as well, with a 2.0GHz processor, 512MB onboard memory, and dual Ethernet ports (which provide link aggregation, allowing for transfer increase and redundancy).

WD My Cloud EX4 Review

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 Splotto

Splotto

• 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:49 AM

Hello:

Thanks for the review.  I have been waiting for the multi-bay model to come out.

I don't know if you checked this aspect of it or not - can you add additional drives over time without rebuilding the entire array/data?  For example, can you put 2 drives in to start and simply add another drive or 2 later seamlessly?  Will the device just work the new storage into the array without requiring the user to move the data first?

Thanks,

Bob

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

Are you asking if you can expand a volume with new disks?

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 Splotto

Splotto

• 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:17 AM

Yes....or do you need to save the data elsewhere, add the new disks, rebuild the array and bring the data back.

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

Most, if not all, modern NAS let you expand a volume without blowing away the one in place. Of course back up before you perform such an action.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 Splotto

Splotto

• 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

Thank you.

#7 cullings

cullings

• 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:19 AM

An important specification has been omitted from the MY Cloud EX4 review.

Please specify how long it takes to rebuild a hot-swapped drive that is replacing a defective drive.

Of course it depends on the amount of data being rebuilt.  Lets say each of four drives contains 3 tb.

How many hours does it take to put the 3 tb back onto the new drive (with raid 5)?  My Drobos take about 72 hours!!

I hope the My Cloud EX4 is much faster - but I wouldn't bet on it.  If there is a power failure during the 72 hours, what happens?

#8 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:12 AM

That's not something we test because of the multiple variables, some of which you mentioned. If power fails, worst case you start over again, you're not going to lose the good data on the other three drives with this or any NAS like Synology, QNAP, et al. As to Drobo, they're historically under powered, it's difficult to recommend them any longer. They used to have a huge market lead thanks to interface and usability, but that's not enough any more and many others have caught up.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users