• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

The Supermicro SuperWorkstation 5037A-i is a high-end workstation that is comprised of the SC732D4-903B mid-tower chassis and the single-processor X9SRA Intel Xeon motherboard. The X9SRA can be loaded with up to 512GB 1866MHz DDR3 ECC memory (512GB DDR3 ECC LRDIMM, 256GB DDR3 ECC RDIMM or 64GB DDR3 ECC/non-ECC UDIMM) and supports up to the Intel Xeon E5-1600/E5-2600 v2 series processor family. The 5037A-i SuperWorkstation comes equipped with an 80 PLUS High Efficiency Gold Certified 900W PSU, tool-less and rotating 3.5" hard drive cages, as well as whisper quiet 21db cooling system geared towards office operating conditions. The entire platform is designed to be highly reliable and easy to maintain to lower its operating costs and maximize uptime.

#2 patpro

patpro

• 7 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:22 AM

Interesting review, but as you started writing about your VMware farm, I was a bit disappointed when I've read you installed Windows and not ESXi. Of course, for benchmark tools it makes sense.

You give the barebone price, what about the final price?

And I'll finish on that: how silent the box really is? I think about building a silent workstation but it's quite hard to make ones mind over marketing slogans.

Edited by patpro, 03 December 2013 - 01:23 AM.

#3 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:13 AM

Well on the storage side, were sticking to Windows Server vs VSAN right now. Server 2012 specifically was picked for simplicity for iSCSI and SMB access in the lab. As an ESXi host it's a tad underpowered compared to our main clusters. We're following up with a much larger production platform in the next month that's getting built out right now. About 1.4TB of PCIe flash, 6TB usable flash tier, and the a huge 10k SAS pool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users