• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 speed3726

speed3726

• 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm new to SSD's and recently purchased a Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD for my PS4. I have a couple questions regarding the drive's garbage collection and TRIM support:

I bought the SSD after reading numerous speed comparison charts and the SSD is still a significant upgrade, even though the PS4 only has a SATA II port. The PS4, however, doesn't have any kind of TRIM support. I also read that the Samsung SSD's have their own method of garbage collection that does its job while idle. So my first question is, will the SSD be smart enough to organize itself while the PS4 is in, say, stand-by mode? Or even if it's shut down??

If the SSD's grabage collection without TRIM isn't enough, then I assume I'd have to pop it out periodically and connect it to a computer that does support TRIM to keep it organized. I have a 2012 Apple iMac and an HP DV7 Windows 7 laptop which I confirmed definitely does support TRIM (the SSD can also fit as the primary drive). So my second question is, what ways can I set up the SSD with the laptop (or the iMac if it's possible) to let the TRIM do its job for the SSD? I looked into a sata to usb connection and planned to do it externally, but then read that TRIM can't happen through a USB, even if it is a 3.0, so I don't really have an idea on how to do that now.

I apologize in advance if this has already been covered or if the answer's too obvious for its own thread, but like I said, I'm new to these drives and how they work as opposed to HDD's. Thanks in advance for reading my post and maybe even coming up with a solution.

-Anthony

#2 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

The background GC will be more than sufficient for keeping performance up over time. If this was an SSD a few generations old I'd worry, but they have gotten so good that these days I'm not sure I'd even worry about OS Trim support anymore period.

#3 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 400 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

Also the garabge collection only works when the SSD is powered.  Not sure if the PS4 keeps the drive powered while off/standby or not.

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#4 speed3726

speed3726

• 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I'm pretty sure the drive remains on during Stand-by mode because you can use the playstation app to buy a game from your phone and it will automatically install onto the system in stand-by.

Edited by speed3726, 05 December 2013 - 05:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users