• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:21 PM

StorageReview has come upon information that OCZ and Panasonic have formed a licensing deal to market and sell Panasonic branded Indilinx Barefoot SSDs. Panasonic is launching two SSDs initially, one dubbed Premium and one Premium Pro. The Panasonic Premium is due to ship almost immediately, the Premium Pro early 2014. The drives will be available largely in the APAC region where the Panasonic brand is very strong, with additional distribution to follow. This marks the first ever OCZ licensing deal and is a clear benefit of the Indilinx acquisition and the resulting Barefoot SSD controller technology.

#2 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 121 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:58 PM

Yes it's the same drive. Same factory. Well, not sure what to make of it, considering Toshiba is not very happy right now... Besides, Panasonic brand is not known for SSDs even in APAC region, so marketing will be difficult. And of course I don't expect it to show up on this side of the pond anytime soon.

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

Not sure how angry Toshiba is since they're supplying the NAND ;)

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 cb123

cb123

• 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

What makes this rumor more believable than the slew of OCZ rumors in the past?

Why is the controller listed as "Barefore" 3?

When do you expect to hear more?

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

It's believable because we are reporting this as fact.

Typo

Something official is probably coming in the next week.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

For those interested in the main product images and spec sheets we have in hand:

Attached File  Packing box.jpg   70.31KB   3 downloads

Attached File  Premium Pic 1.jpg   191.38KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Premium Pic 2.jpg   238.64KB   2 downloads

Attached File  Real Sample.jpg   56.43KB   4 downloads

Attached File  Sample Panasonic SSD 128G.jpg   115.68KB   2 downloads

Attached File  Sample Panasonic SSD 256G.jpg   115.92KB   2 downloads

#7 poesis

poesis

• 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:00 PM

Nice shot, Brian.

"mashed potato!"

#8 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

Nice shot, Brian.

"mashed potato!"

Thanks? I have no idea what that means, have I missed out on another Internet trend? LOL

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#9 cb123

cb123

• 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

Thanks? I have no idea what that means, have I missed out on another Internet trend? LOL

All of the other rumors were reported as facts, but then they fell through one way or another.  Do you have a picture of the actual drive, open showing the controller?  I don't mean to be brash, but rumors run wild with OCZ.

#10 cb123

cb123

• 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

Typo

Something official is probably coming in the next week.

Is that there official spec sheet? If so, how can they have a typo for the controller model?

#11 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

Kevin posted what we have. You're free to not believe it, we won't be offended. However, someone mocking up these drives to look exactly like a Vector, making a spec sheet and sales materials and marketing that information...well, that feels more legit than a scam to us. We also layer additional fact checking on top. You see, for our site credibility is the only thing we have. If we blow that with our readers and the few companies we cover, we'd be in trouble. We're not interested in short term gains rumor mongering drives. 

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#12 Slappi

Slappi

• 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

From last OCZ CC:

"On the client side, we are not sitting still either, looking for new ways to engage in the market in a profitable manner. We’ve closed on an OEM arrangement in order to enable a large consumer product company to enter a portion of the client SSD market."

Looks like a rebranded OEM drive to me.

Don't you think the OCZ shareholders have been put through enough already? Your article caused a spike in the stock premarket to almost .90 and now it is .70. 

#13 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

Is that there official spec sheet? If so, how can they have a typo for the controller model?

Have you not interacted with Asian-based companies before? There are routinely translation problems in the English documentation we get. US companies also make mistakes form time to time...happens.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#14 oczocguy

oczocguy

• 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

Not to defend brian or prove cb wrong.  But I've seen typos in spec sheets from the most reputable of companies.

#15 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

Looks like a rebranded OEM drive to me.

Will you clarify your point? Are you saying the drive just looks the same but isn't OCZ inside?

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#16 cb123

cb123

• 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:25 PM

Not to defend brian or prove cb wrong.  But I've seen typos in spec sheets from the most reputable of companies.

I don't want to be "right"  I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the situation.  I hope Brian is right.

#17 Slappi

Slappi

• 5 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

Will you clarify your point? Are you saying the drive just looks the same but isn't OCZ inside?

No I am saying the whole thing looks to be in fact an OCZ drive rebranded by Panasonic. OCZ would be better served if they just licensed the controller and design like the headline alludes to.

#18 cb123

cb123

• 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

Kevin posted what we have. You're free to not believe it, we won't be offended. However, someone mocking up these drives to look exactly like a Vector, making a spec sheet and sales materials and marketing that information...well, that feels more legit than a scam to us. We also layer additional fact checking on top. You see, for our site credibility is the only thing we have. If we blow that with our readers and the few companies we cover, we'd be in trouble. We're not interested in short term gains rumor mongering drives. 

You probably can't share the additional fact checking can you?

#19 poesis

poesis

• 2 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

Nope, missed out on another golf trend. no shame in that. :)

http://bit.ly/1883VjJ

Thanks for the reporting!!!

#20 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

No I am saying the whole thing looks to be in fact an OCZ drive rebranded by Panasonic. OCZ would be better served if they just licensed the controller and design like the headline alludes to.

We don't know what changes Panny is making or having made to the drive yet aside from the obvious, like warranty (compared to the V150). The actual financial instruments in play also are unknown to us, that's not relevant to our interests nor our typical tech-focused readers. If OCZ is the OEM for Panny, that doesn't exclude them from licensing the technology as well. The two terms aren't mutually exclusive. I think your point is more that they had announced this prior, albeit veiled, so this is not new news. That may be true, I can't comment on that, but again, the news from SR's perspective is that a big brand is taking an OCZ drive into new markets. That's the core relevance for us.

Nope, missed out on another golf trend. no shame in that. :)

http://bit.ly/1883VjJ

Thanks for the reporting!!!

LOL - that's great...I see all sorts of great applications for such an utterance. 

You probably can't share the additional fact checking can you?

I think you knew the answer before asking that ;)

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#21 cb123

cb123

• 6 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

We don't know what changes Panny is making or having made to the drive yet aside from the obvious, like warranty (compared to the V150). The actual financial instruments in play also are unknown to us, that's not relevant to our interests nor our typical tech-focused readers. If OCZ is the OEM for Panny, that doesn't exclude them from licensing the technology as well. The two terms aren't mutually exclusive. I think your point is more that they had announced this prior, albeit veiled, so this is not new news. That may be true, I can't comment on that, but again, the news from SR's perspective is that a big brand is taking an OCZ drive into new markets. That's the core relevance for us.

LOL - that's great...I see all sorts of great applications for such an utterance. 

I think you knew the answer before asking that ;)

I was always told you couldn't ask a bad question ;)

Edited by cb123, 14 November 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#22 Trash

Trash

• 1 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

The specs are fitting to the Vertex450.

Also the M10 of the controller.

#23 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 121 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:14 PM

Not sure how angry Toshiba is since they're supplying the NAND ;)

I did not say they are angry, but that they are not "very happy" :rolleyes:

Panasonic and Toshiba do not have what you would normally call a healthy and friendly relationship you know... :ph34r:

#24 zero2658

zero2658

• 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:52 AM

Any updates/further thoughts to this story?

#25 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:58 AM

None yet...

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users