• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 choppaface

choppaface

• 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

Dear Forum, 

I need a NAS recommendation. Currently have a 6-year-old Mac Pro and I'm thinking of moving to a Macbook plus NAS to keep all my old data (mostly photos and music). Do people here have a favorite NAS or at least favorite vendor?  I'm looking for something that has:

* Preferably fanless

* Needs to last at least 6-8 years

* Prefer SATA since I won't have high load 

* Prefer 4 bays to 1-2

* RAID 1 support (hardware or software)

* Extra USB/firewire ports a major plus, eSATA port a small plus

Is there a good product out there, or is it better to build something like this (e.g. with a mini ITX case/board)?  I'm not shy about building things, tho I would probably prefer an easier solution.

In the past, I built a Mac Mini with a custom enclosure to serve essentially the same purpose.  It was a fun project but the end product was noisy and collected way too much dust, hence I'm looking for a fanless unit.

https://plus.google....948920572596657

For the curious: 

* Upgraded the mini processor to a faster Core 2 Duo

* Dremeled a hole in the back of the mini and ran an eSATA from the mini to a WD Raptor.  Yes that's a Raptor in the window ^_^

* The case has space for 2 other SATA drives served off a Firewire 800 board 

* PSU is a special mini ITX PSU I think; it's like 80 watts.

Alternatively to a NAS, if anybody knows of a NAS card that's the size of the FireWire card in that picture, that might work too 8)

Edited by choppaface, 09 November 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

Sounds like you should just buy a Synology or perhaps a Netgear in five/six bay config.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 choppaface

choppaface

• 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:16 AM

Just took a look and wow, I can't believe they don't have smaller models that are fanless.  >$500 seems a lot for a NAS...

If I really wanted fanless and say 2 bays, am I going to have to go SAS/2.5inch ?  I'm trying to avoid not just the cleaning issue but the chance that the fan will lose a bearing after 4-5 years.  I guess I could also always replace the stock fan with something with fluid bearings...

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

Honestly I'd rather have the fan than not. The last things we've seen without fans are the WD 2-bay My Book solutions, but that's DAS, not NAS. Given the higher workloads seen with NAS, I think losing your drives is worse than losing a fan...The WD My Cloud solution that's a single drive is also fabless, but again, that's not exactly what you want. 

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 403 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

I wouldn't run 4 HDDs in any enclosure without a fan...that's asking for trouble.

I went DIY for my NAS units.  Put filters on the fans if dust is an issue.

My portable 4 bay NAS:

Attached File  10151359810924584.jpg   79.23KB   9 downloads

Attached File  10151359810804584.jpg   91.11KB   4 downloads

(more details in my post over here)

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#6 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

I'd opt to only purchase a unit with a fan personally. I just replaced two drives in a friend's passively cooled 2-bay unit. The device had been place horizontally instead of vertically, and it couldn't cool itself as a result. The top-most HDD ended up cooking itself and failed. Thankfully in its RAID1 config the bottom drive still worked and we pulled the data off of it.

#7 choppaface

choppaface

• 3 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:38 AM

FastMHZ: iz nice i like!  

A bunch of my friends are recommending Synology now, so I may just go with that.  Thanks for all the tips about fans!! It used to be that quiet fans were impossible to find, but now perhaps things have changed.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users