I need a NAS recommendation. Currently have a 6-year-old Mac Pro and I'm thinking of moving to a Macbook plus NAS to keep all my old data (mostly photos and music). Do people here have a favorite NAS or at least favorite vendor? I'm looking for something that has:
* Preferably fanless
* Needs to last at least 6-8 years
* Prefer SATA since I won't have high load
* Prefer 4 bays to 1-2
* RAID 1 support (hardware or software)
* Extra USB/firewire ports a major plus, eSATA port a small plus
Is there a good product out there, or is it better to build something like this (e.g. with a mini ITX case/board)? I'm not shy about building things, tho I would probably prefer an easier solution.
In the past, I built a Mac Mini with a custom enclosure to serve essentially the same purpose. It was a fun project but the end product was noisy and collected way too much dust, hence I'm looking for a fanless unit.
For the curious:
* Upgraded the mini processor to a faster Core 2 Duo
* Dremeled a hole in the back of the mini and ran an eSATA from the mini to a WD Raptor. Yes that's a Raptor in the window
* The case has space for 2 other SATA drives served off a Firewire 800 board
* PSU is a special mini ITX PSU I think; it's like 80 watts.
Alternatively to a NAS, if anybody knows of a NAS card that's the size of the FireWire card in that picture, that might work too 8)
Edited by choppaface, 09 November 2013 - 06:03 PM.