WD new Black line

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 orion24

orion24

• 76 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:31 AM

I've been rather demoralized by the development race in HDDs, but after the laugh last years WD4001FAEX gave me, I've been rather pleased to watch the review of the new black edition drive. Even though still far from what I'd want to see, as this is the first performance upgrade from WD after 5 years old 2TB Black edition.

I'm currently out of storage and will want new large drives soon. But I don't know if these drives will fit in my system. SSD is for the OS drive. A RAID-0 array of 2 1TB Velociraptors is for the gaming drive and the rest are pretty much for pure storage. Maybe these drives would be an overkill for storage and I might opt for other 4TB drives. It will depend on the price difference.

Core i7 920 D0 4.2GHz. Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 v1.0. Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 12GB. NVIDIA GTX 680. ASUS VG278H 3D-Vision2.
Corsair Force GS 240GB (OS drive). VelociRaptor 1TBx2 RAID-0 (gaming). SpinPoint F3 1TBx2 RAID-1 (important files). Barracuda 7200.14 3TBx2 (general storage)

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

The new blacks are not inexpensive. For pure bulk storage there are definitely cheaper options.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 redhotiron2004

redhotiron2004

• 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:45 AM

The new blacks are not inexpensive. For pure bulk storage there are definitely cheaper options.

What is there price?
I am eagerly waiting for these new black drives in india. But, it seems as if no one have the slightest idea of the price. Let alone the availability.

I couldn't find any other drive that gives 5yrs warranty are reliable and are available in india. Reliability is more important than performance for me.

Sent from my MK16i using Tapatalk 2

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

The warranty is indeed very good considering the shrink in HDD warranties in the last year or so. As to pricing in India I have no idea, but you can check Amazon and NewEgg in the US to get an idea of what you might expect. 

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 redhotiron2004

redhotiron2004

• 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:11 AM

The warranty is indeed very good considering the shrink in HDD warranties in the last year or so. As to pricing in India I have no idea, but you can check Amazon and NewEgg in the US to get an idea of what you might expect. 

I couldn't find any site which is selling the latest black. All have an older model on sale.

Sent from my MK16i using Tapatalk 2

#6 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

Search fail?

http://www.amazon.co...earch-alias=aps

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#7 orion24

orion24

• 76 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:58 AM

Local seller e-shop listed this drive yesterday at 270.29 Euros ( http://www.e-shop.gr...t?id=PER.303057 ). The price is nearly the same as with the WD4001FAEX model ( http://www.e-shop.gr...t?id=PER.304687 ) and is better than what I expected. But still, there are cheaper models that will do fine for pure storage in my rig. The only thing that holds me from going with them is that I'm getting kind of "demoralized" if I don't use high-performing staff.

Edited by orion24, 15 November 2013 - 12:59 AM.

Core i7 920 D0 4.2GHz. Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 v1.0. Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 12GB. NVIDIA GTX 680. ASUS VG278H 3D-Vision2.
Corsair Force GS 240GB (OS drive). VelociRaptor 1TBx2 RAID-0 (gaming). SpinPoint F3 1TBx2 RAID-1 (important files). Barracuda 7200.14 3TBx2 (general storage)

#8 cbrworm

cbrworm

• 131 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

I am also encouraged to see these new Black drives.  I have a problem (literally), I need large drives that are as fast as possible, and with rotating drives - throughput is decent on a number of new drives, but the access time has been dwindling and in some cases inconsistent.  I realize compared to solid state drives there is no comparison, but I still want my large drives to have <=12msec access times.  To me, with my workload, access time is more important than throughput - assuming the throughput differences are 160MB/sec vs 200MB/sec.  And I have to have many terrabytes.  My only solution up to now has been to use enterprise class drives, with a second choice being the Hitachi drives.  I can't afford SSD's big enough to meet my needs.

I have terabytes of virtual machines spread across multiple drives and the difference between 12msec and 15msec is astounding!  Especially when some of the new drives (Seagate) seem to get hung up every once and a while under heavy use - I suspect due to the write caching algorithm - I have seen it on all the newest Seagate drives with the exception of the 5 platter Constellations.

I see this as an encouraging sign, even though the last line of Black drives seemed to be overpriced for what you got, they cost less than the non-green RE's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users