• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:09 AM

Samsung has released a new mobile hard drive platform that crams 2TB into a standard 9.5mm form factor.

Samsung Spinpoint M9T Mobile Hard Drive

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 744 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

667 GB 2.5" platters?! Wow, did expect this without any prior announcements! This means using the same technology we should be able to pack ~1.3 TB/platter into 3.5" by now. Assuming it's not the vibration at the outer radii which keeps them from increasing the density further.

Any word on how they accomplished this? Shingled recording, maybe?

MrS

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

I'm 99% sure it's not SMR as those drives are so poor for performance profiles that a consumer needs. I think they're just really good at engineering the platters ;) 

Should know more soon, waiting on review samples. 

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:27 PM

http://www.seagate.c...internal-ds.pdf

Conventional PMR heads.

BTW, the photo looks like an M8 to me...

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:43 AM

New and improved M8. Why fix something that's not broken? The M8 has huge market share still with OEMs. 

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 unityole

unityole

• 43 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:50 AM

2tb in 2.5" 9mm is insane, but a dream come true LOL  now I can manage backup within the same drive before going to externals..

#7 golemB

golemB

• 17 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:40 PM

Brian / SR Admin,

Despite Samsung / Seagate's press release, this seems to be vaporware so far as I can tell in the US.  The SpinPoint M9T 2TB drives are not "shipping" in any retail channel I have checked (Amazon, Newegg, ...), either as bare drive or in the M3 Portable and P3 Portable external drives.  It has now been over a month!

Can you talk to Samsung / Seagate about this and hold their feet to the fire?  It's a major disservice to your readers for these companies to lie like this, and the FUD factor has prevented me (and likely others) from buying a 1.5TB laptop drive (or 12.5mm WD Green 2TB) alternative, as I'm expecting this product to be released any day now.  The manufacturer's silence on this issue is dishonest and unhelpful.

#8 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

Yes, we'll reach out and see what we can find out on the topic.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#9 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 744 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

The drives are not even listed in a standard german price comparison tool. It's got a "good tradition" in the HDD space to announce and only ship months afterwards - but this doesn't make it any more acceptable. It's OK to paper-launch, if they tell is so and provide an expected shipping date. Thanks for looking into it, Brian.

MrS

#10 golemB

golemB

• 17 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

Thanks, Brian!

I don't mind products being announced before they are released, even if there is no specific shipping date provided.  However, Samsung's announcement here actually says, they are "now shipping the new 2.5-inch Spinpoint M9T".  (Original press release dated Nov. 6, 2013 is here; it also says,

Availability

The Spinpoint M9T hard drive is currently available in the Samsung Internal Drive product line, which includes the M3 Portable and P3 Portable external drives, as well as with select partners.

which is evidently untrue.

#11 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:27 AM

Well, they may be shipping to OEMs, that's normally where these things start. 

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#12 golemB

golemB

• 17 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

Fair point.  I appreciate the effort, and I look forward to hearing what Seagate/Samsung's response is.

#13 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

They said it's shipping in externals. I asked for more detail about the bare drives.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#14 golemB

golemB

• 17 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:56 PM

They said it's shipping in externals. I asked for more detail about the bare drives.

Thanks!  I checked again just now and the P3 external 2TB drive shows up now at NewEgg for a very reasonable price.  I'm gonna try to crack it open and use the drive as an internal - wish me luck!

#15 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,307 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

Let us know how it goes...many of those portable drives have the SATA port removed for a USB PCB instead.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#16 unityole

unityole

• 43 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:51 AM

Thanks!  I checked again just now and the P3 external 2TB drive shows up now at NewEgg for a very reasonable price.  I'm gonna try to crack it open and use the drive as an internal - wish me luck!

so just how did it go lol.. kinda need this HDD..

#17 golemB

golemB

• 17 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

Let us know how it goes...many of those portable drives have the SATA port removed for a USB PCB instead.

so just how did it go lol.. kinda need this HDD..

I postponed this due to holiday travels, and for better or worse, the comments on NewEgg seem to lean towards it having soldered USB connections.  I will probably wind up waiting after all until someone else definitively takes the plunge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users