Samsung 840 Pro Freeze/Reboot Problem

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ratfish

Ratfish

• 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:52 AM

Hi, I just installed a 256g 840 Pro on an Asus P5Q Pro and am getting really weird freezes periodically. The system was stable in XP with a velociraptor for years, but I decided to upgrade to an SSD and Windows 7, and now it's completely unstable.

I've updated every driver I could find, disconnected all other drives and run the magician tool thing. It's in AHCI, if that matters.

I'm completely new to SSDs and Windows 7, so I don't know how to determine if the drive is bad or if there's a conflict or bad driver or something somewhere. The drive itself has the latest firmware. Any ideas?

It typically either has a mouse stutter that it recovers from or it will hard freeze and restart. There was only a BSOD once so far with a "stop: 0x00000124" message. All other times it just goes to black then restarts.

Thanks.

Edited by Ratfish, 01 November 2013 - 12:54 AM.

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,156 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

When you run the drive scan in Magician, I assume it tells you all is well and there are no errors or warnings?

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 dietrc70

dietrc70

• 106 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:59 AM

Try a new SATA cable, and make sure it is rated for SATA III.  Also check the Windows Event Viewer to see if the stutters and crashes are associated with drive errors.

#4 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,535 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:10 PM

Going to need more information... what does your System Log in the Event Viewer say?

Off a fresh bare bones Windows 7 install did you get any crashes, or did you only get crashes after you started loading drivers?

#5 Ratfish

Ratfish

• 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

The magician software always said the drive was fine. The only way I could get this problem to stop was to set it as IDE and reinstall windows. I'm just using magician manually to trim it periodically. I think my motherboard is to blame in some way, but I'm not really sure. Since the reinstall, it's only happened once, but I was messing around with services at the time so it may have been my fault.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users