Do Scorpio Blacks Need WDIDLE

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Skakruk

Skakruk

• 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:50 AM

Do the black scorpio drives use intellipark/require 'fixing' with WDIDLE? I have a WD3200BEKT I'm about to put into a gaming console, and I won't be able to monitor it once it's in there. I don't want it to stack up unnecessary LLC, nor do I want the stutter/pausing it can cause.

#2 dietrc70

dietrc70

• 106 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:56 PM

In my experience with that exact drive, it has never gone to sleep or engaged in head parking (that I could detect) when installed in an enclosure.  It was never unresponsive when used in a laptop either.

I think the WD Greens are the main problem drives when it comes to excessive head parking.

The best source would probably be modding sites for your specific console, but my guess is that the factory settings for a Scorpio Black would be fine.  Those drives are biased towards high performance over power savings.

Edited by dietrc70, 22 October 2013 - 10:02 PM.

#3 Skakruk

Skakruk

• 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

dietrc70, on 23 Oct 2013 - 3:56 PM, said:dietrc70, on 23 Oct 2013 - 3:56 PM, said:dietrc70, on 23 Oct 2013 - 3:56 PM, said:

In my experience with that exact drive, it has never gone to sleep or engaged in head parking (that I could detect) when installed in an enclosure.  It was never unresponsive when used in a laptop either.

I think the WD Greens are the main problem drives when it comes to excessive head parking.

The best source would probably be modding sites for your specific console, but my guess is that the factory settings for a Scorpio Black would be fine.  Those drives are biased towards high performance over power savings.

The WD3200BEKT has had a pretty long production run so I'm not sure if they ever changed it's behaviour, but I've been having a good look at mine, and I've found that it does have the same issue: head parks after 8 seconds. In it's default state, the LCC was rising at a merry rate:

v37JD8E.png

76 after only 7 hours, and considering the type of use I was giving it in those first hours, I think that is excessive.

I changed it to 300 seconds with WDIDLE, and by 20 hours it's only risen to 87.

nQ5XS8N.png

I think I'll leave it at 300 seconds, assuming the console is OK with that. On one forum I did see a report of this drive not working in a PS3 with the timer set to anything other than the default of 8. I really can't understand why that would be, but that was a PS3 anyway, and the 360 will probably be different.

Edited by Skakruk, 23 October 2013 - 08:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users