• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kdeinv

kdeinv

• 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

Hello,

My daughter wants a 3 tb external hard drive for her Toshiba laptop that has USB 2.0 and WIN 7 loaded.

I have heard of issues with WIN 7 and wanted to know which 3tb models would not have the Win 7 problem (recognizing the drive) and is also reliable.  Also are all 3 tb models for use with desktops and laptops?  I think she wants this space for movies/pictures, and music.

This is on her Christmas list so researching early

Thanks in advance

#2 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 405 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

Windows 7 will not have trouble recognizing any drive, whereas XP has issues with drives > 2TB.  The Seagate externals aren't too pricey and have good reviews on Amazon, and they're USB3, which means they'll work with the USB2 laptop and be future laptop upgrade ready.

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Vishera 6350/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/2x Radeon 7950 Crossfired
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

WD has a ton of externals too and you can always roll your own. Just be sure you're backing up. Maybe a two bay NAS would be better?

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,581 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:41 PM

Two separate single-disk enclosures, rotated for backup, would probably be even safer and much cheaper than a 2-bay NAS (but a lot less convenient) since it would protect from user error and viruses and whatnot that would simultaneously take out data in a RAID1 2-bay NAS...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users