Samsung 840 SSD manual Format

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 samsddhlp

samsddhlp

• 1 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:45 PM

I accidentally formatted my new 840 Saumsung SSD.  This was a complete format.  Now I cannot use on my PC for a Windows 7 install.  Samsung Magician does not detect the drive as a Samsung SSD (only as a USB drive) so I cannot format it to factory default.  Is there a way to format this drive so I can use it as primary drive on a Windows 7 install?

#2 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 637 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:07 AM

What does Window's disk management see the format of the 840 as? Ideally, it should be NTFS. If it sees it as maybe a FAT32, it could be why it sees it as a usb drive. 

Also, when installing Windows 7, you can do a custom install that should have an an option to reformat the drive to a format that windows can install on.

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

#3 Bytebite

Bytebite

• 63 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

You can try to create a boot able thumb drive on a working machine with installed Samsung Magician for Secure Erase. If the drive itself is fine you should be able to reset the drive with this secure erase to "factory setting".

Just boot the machine from the thumb drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users