• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sperti

Sperti

• 5 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

Hi all,

I have a 19" rack. The only thing is that the depth is limited to 60cm (23.6") so installing equipment is quite difficult since I have only a maximum depth size of 17.7" (45cm). For now I am searching a rackmount storage chassis (it doesn't matter how high it is, since I have plenty much space available) where I can install at least 12 hot swap 3,5" hard discs but to be honest I cannot find a chassis which matches to those figures.

Any suggestion where I can find a chassis with 12 or 16 hot swap 3,5" drives which is not deeper than 17.7"
In addition it would be nice if I can install also motherboard, pcu and some extension cards.

thx and cheers

#2 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

Might be an obvious question, but is there a reason why you have such a narrow server rack? Are you space limited in the room it's installed in? That might be a good upgrade path eventually.

I'll look around at some of the 3.5" JBOD options. Most are Supermicro-style platforms, where its a normal server chassis with power control changes. This means they have a huge open area in the center, increasing the overall depth.

#3 Sperti

Sperti

• 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:21 AM

Might be an obvious question, but is there a reason why you have such a narrow server rack? Are you space limited in the room it's installed in? That might be a good upgrade path eventually.

I'll look around at some of the 3.5" JBOD options. Most are Supermicro-style platforms, where its a normal server chassis with power control changes. This means they have a huge open area in the center, increasing the overall depth.

Coming back to your question: yes I'm limited in space so there is no option to get another rack... :(

Let me know if you find something...
I also found a chassis, but unfortunately this seems not to be available in Europe...
RM-4045
here I would have 8x 5,25" space where I could install 4x 3x 3,5" hot swap cases, but anyhow... found no possibility to purchase in Europe...

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:26 AM

I emailed our contact at SM to see if they have anything to suit this need. I suppose you could also consider a shelf with 3 of the new WD micro servers ;)

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

Could you post a photo of the area? Worst case is there any room on either side of the rack if the unit had to be placed on a traditional shelf? I found one Promise JBOD that was 18" deep... technically would fit sticking out a little bit in front, but is that 17.7" figure taking into account any spacing for cables sticking out the back?

#6 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

Here's the feedback from SM:

According to our chassis PM the closest thing we have is

1. 2U SC825M 17.7", 3 x 3.5" HDDs
http://www.supermicr...is/2u/?chs=825M

2. 4U SC842TQ 20.5", Up to 10 x 3.5" HDDs (5 x 3.5 built in, 5 x via M35TQ)
http://www.supermicr...SC842TQ-665.cfm
http://www.supermicr...SC842TQ-865.cfm

This is the M35TQ mobile rack for the 4U SC842TQ
http://www.supermicr...k/cse-m35tq.cfm

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#7 Sperti

Sperti

• 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

Could you post a photo of the area? Worst case is there any room on either side of the rack if the unit had to be placed on a traditional shelf? I found one Promise JBOD that was 18" deep... technically would fit sticking out a little bit in front, but is that 17.7" figure taking into account any spacing for cables sticking out the back?

Well the whole Frame is 80x60x200 this is about 31.5" wide, about 78.7" high and about 23.6" deep.
from the front door I have about 10cm or 3.9" till the 19" rail and from there to the backdoor there are 19,7", so leaving 2" for cabling I have 17.7 for the cassis. I have some free space on the side and in height.

In the meantime I found something that could fit, its a 6U high chassis, its 17.7" deep and it should be available in Europe and I asked for the price, so I hope its affordable ;)
GHI-612
and: it has 12x 3,5" hot swap slots.

@Brian: thank you for your input, but obviously only the 2U would fit, so what to do with the other harddisks.

#8 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:23 AM

You could check with CalPC, AIC, InfiniRAID, and a few others... but yeah, a rack as shallow as you mention is more of a relay rack rather than a server rack, to find what you need is going to be tough.

Given most server chassis usually aim to fit eATX motherboards which get up to what, 12" x 13"? With a chassis only 17.7" deep and the fact that a 3.5" disk is almost 6" long (146mm), that means quite a bit of compromise is going to be involved. Stepping down to standard ATX (12" x 9.6") means a 9.6" motherboard depth plus 6" drive plus in reality you need at least 2"~3" for fans and the structure at the rear of the chassis...

It's doable, but it's a compromise not a lot of customers seem to want.

Can you find any chassis shallow enough with multiple 5.25" bays that you could maybe stick 3.5" to 5.25" hotswap adapters into? IIRC quite a few 3x3.5" or even 5x3.5" drive adapters that go into 3x5.25" bays exist, which might be helpful at least...

#9 Sperti

Sperti

• 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

Well I got an offer for the GHI-612 but for 1.220$ or 900€ this is plenty much money.

for now I am trying to purchase this chassis directly in Taiwan, but stll no reply....

well, this is really a tough thing getting something that fits for an adorable price.

will see if there is something else which could fit to my needs...

#10 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

Who makes the GHI-612? I don't recognize the part number... a Google search suggests it's someone named Akiwa?

Looks like that chassis has the layout I expected to fit such a shallow depth-- motherboard only, then drives and power supply in a different compartment...

#11 Sperti

Sperti

• 5 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:11 AM

Who makes the GHI-612? I don't recognize the part number... a Google search suggests it's someone named Akiwa?

Looks like that chassis has the layout I expected to fit such a shallow depth-- motherboard only, then drives and power supply in a different compartment...

It seems to be a taiwanese company named Akiwa. They have plenty much chassis.

In the meantime I also found a possibility to enlarge the depth of my frame by exchanging the back door, so I would gain about 4" of depth. It's not much, but there would be some more chassis I can take.

Just waiting for the price of this door....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users