• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dan2486

dan2486

• 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:03 AM

Hello,

Our organisation is looking into buying a storage (FC/iSCSi) to setup our new branch office. Currently based on our commercials and requirements, the options have come down to

1. HP MSA P2000 G3 (FC/iSCSi combo array) dual controller and

2. Nexsan E48 series (FC/iscsi ports) dual controller

We are highly impressed by the above two products and they seem similar feature wise as well. It would be highly appreciated if some of the veterans out here could point out some major differences between the above two which would help us make the correct decision. Pricing is no more a factor with the above two, as it has now all come down to make a selection.

Regards,

Dan

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,076 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

Are you looking simply at a pure disk array or do you intend on introducing flash as well? We haven't spent hands on time with the Nexsan, for whatever reason they've always been reluctant to independent testing from our lab. Maybe now that they're a part of Imation that will change. HP is prepping an MSA for us now which we're excited about.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 dan2486

dan2486

• 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

Are you looking simply at a pure disk array or do you intend on introducing flash as well? We haven't spent hands on time with the Nexsan, for whatever reason they've always been reluctant to independent testing from our lab. Maybe now that they're a part of Imation that will change. HP is prepping an MSA for us now which we're excited about.

Dear Brian,

It would be pure disk array without flash. Lets hope someone does have some differentiator points between the two :)

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,076 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:05 PM

There are some basic design fundamentals, the HP is 2U and fewer drives per chassis and supports SAS only for the high capacity 4TB drives. The E48 uses those drawers that slide out and can accommodate any drive interface/combination, but that may not be a benefit to you and it's larger at 4U. You could of course drop to the E18 if you want a smaller footprint. Fundamentally I think they both get the job done for you, it doesn't sound like you're asking a lot of them.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 dan2486

dan2486

• 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:13 AM

There are some basic design fundamentals, the HP is 2U and fewer drives per chassis and supports SAS only for the high capacity 4TB drives. The E48 uses those drawers that slide out and can accommodate any drive interface/combination, but that may not be a benefit to you and it's larger at 4U. You could of course drop to the E18 if you want a smaller footprint. Fundamentally I think they both get the job done for you, it doesn't sound like you're asking a lot of them.

Hi Brian,

this is a very interesting point that you've touched upon. So P2000 supports only SAS disks on the controller bay? for provisioning SATA disks, will we have to go for a new disk shelf?

Could you please elaborate a little more on the above?

Thanks in advance.

-Dan

#6 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,076 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

I meant SAS only for the large 4TB drives, they do support SATA in some cases. I pulled this list off their specs page -

Drive type
300 GB 6G 15K LFF Dual-port SAS
450 GB 6G 15K LFF Dual-port SAS
600 GB 6G 15K LFF Dual-port SAS
1 TB 6G 7.2K LFF Dual-port MDL SAS
2 TB 6G 7.2K LFF Dual-port MDL SAS
3 TB 6G 7.2K LFF Dual-port MDL SAS
1 TB 3G 7.2K LFF MDL SATA
2 TB 3G 7.2K LFF MDL SATA
146 GB 6G 15K SFF Dual-port SAS
300 GB 6G 15K SFF Dual-port SAS
300 GB 6G 10K SFF Dual-port SAS
600 GB 6G 10K SFF Dual-port SAS
900 GB 6G 10K SFF Dual-port SAS
1 TB 6G 7.2K SFF Dual-port MDL SAS
4 TB 6G 7.2K LFF Dual-port MDL SAS

I know you said price doesn't matter...at what capacities are you scoping these things and are your quotes similar or are you just not concerned about the gap?

Also curious to know what other systems you considered then cut for whatever reason?

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#7 dan2486

dan2486

• 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

I meant SAS only for the large 4TB drives, they do support SATA in some cases. I pulled this list off their specs page -

I know you said price doesn't matter...at what capacities are you scoping these things and are your quotes similar or are you just not concerned about the gap?

Also curious to know what other systems you considered then cut for whatever reason?

Hi Brian,

We are looking for a 20 tb SAS and 10 tb sata disk options for our vmware, Oracle and backup requirements. We have some approved vendor list (which is a complex procurement process) we had considered EMC, NetApp, IBM. Though impressed by NetApp, they were pretty expensive and we didnt feel the need for their unified storage for the moment. Our global teams had a bad rapport with EMC and so they were out as well. So we've come down to these choices.

One quick question. Nexsan and HP pretty much boast about combining SSD/SAS and SATA disks in the same system (HP P2000 doesnt do SSD). Could you help me understand if this is a good practice? Based on my limited knowledge, its always good to create raid groups for similar disk types. How can creating a raid group with SAS and SSD disks be helpful in terms of performance?

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Dan.

#8 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,076 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

Infusing some flash in a caching or tiering scenario is a fantastic way to accelerate reads and writes. That's why I asked early on about that...most people we've talked to that are looking at Nexsan or any of the tier-2 hybrid array guys like Nimble, Tegile, Starboard, etc do so because they want that flash tier but don't want to spend 3PAR, EqualLogic, Compellent, VNX prices for it. I think for many virtualized workloads you'd see a great benefit if you infuse some flash and let the system manage the tiering. Depends on your configuration needs but something like a small 3PAR StoreServ might be more compelling for you than the MSA.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#9 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,076 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

What did you end up doing?

Brian