• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

Review of the new 4TB My Book for PC and the 3TB My Book for Mac.

WD My Book and My Book for Mac Review

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#2 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 128 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

So what drive is inside? :rolleyes:

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

We kind of gave up tracking that kind of data because it could be just about anything from a Green to a Red possibly or even an Se. Just depends on what's available to them at the time. We can check and see what these are though just to solve your curiosity.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:39 PM

The 4TB model uses the WD40EZRX http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822236604 and the 3TB model has the WD30EZRX http://www.newegg.co...74&Tpk=WD30EZRX

#5 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:33 AM

What transfer sizes were used for benchmarking purposes?

Would be curious to know if there are significant differences between external drives, especially at smaller block sizes...

Also did the drives have any performance issues on any of the test systems? We've occasionally started to test for that for some customers here-- some drives, despite connecting at USB 3.0 speeds, don't always seem to transfer at full speed (despite the host OS reporting a good USB 3.0 link). Granted, haven't seen it often enough to be a problem... but am curious if any such testing like that goes on, even in an informal nature.

#6 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

Our sequential test uses a 2MB transfer size (and a 500MB test file size) to show realistic speeds of files getting moved around. We haven't done a lot of the smaller transfer size testing since manufacturers started to multi-source HDDs. We've seen some models span 5,400-7,200RPM models, which might have a small difference in large sequential transfers but have huge differences in small-block stuff. Since many won't pin it down, its a test that can cause confusion if a buyer gets a product with the slower of the drives installed.

We haven't seen issues relating to USB 3.0 speeds for a while, and generally most have been system specific. On one platform a driver causes some pain every once in a while, where one port negotiates at USB 2.0 and the other does USB 3.0 (both in the USB 3.0 group) for all devices.

#7 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

We kind of gave up tracking that kind of data because it could be just about anything from a Green to a Red possibly or even an Se. Just depends on what's available to them at the time. We can check and see what these are though just to solve your curiosity.

Exactly. That's the beauty of having an external drive business. Some use 'not good enough' Enterprise/Nearline/Desktop drives. There would a lot of inventory not be usable otherwise.

#8 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:52 AM

Well WD is blazing a trail then with a ton of branded gear that's actually really nice. Their interface design and ease of use is impressive in the new NAS line. And there's a pretty fun announcement coming on the 10th you might enjoy.

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users