RAID 5 help

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RPatrice

RPatrice

• 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:17 AM

I have a HP DL160 G6 that I want to use for data storage. It has 4 drives which is currently configured with 1 160gb drive of the OS ( Server 2008 R2 standard) and 3 2tb drives configured with RAID5 for storage.

My question is this : If the single drive that is the OS were to fail, would I be able to replace it and rebuild the OS and attach to the RAID5 data drives without having to rebuild the RAID or suffer any data loss ?

Thanks in advance

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:29 PM

The RAID configuration is stored on the RAID member drives and maybe in the controller, so you should be fine even if the OS drive fails.

#3 colydog

colydog

• 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

I have a similar setup to this. os on a ssd and a raid 5 for storage. I want to reinstall windows 7 on the ssd with out needing to rebuild the aray and i want to leave all the data on the array. the array is just built in the bios.

Will there be any problem with this?

ps Im very new to raid setups.

Thanks for any help.

#4 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

I've nuked and flattened many OS's, and as long as the drive you are messing with isn't associated with the RAID volume, it should still be there when you bring the system back online. Now another word of wisdom though is always have a backup of the data and try not to get into that situation in the first place ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users