#1 kazar

kazar

• 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:14 AM

hi, i'm looking for the best drive for my netbook asus 1101HA:
Specs:
+SATA 1 (so max 150MB/s)
+Form Factor 2.5"
+No AHCI available from BIOS (there isn't any modded bios)
+Seems to be incompatibility with SSD or better low performance with SSD (from an italian forum one guy with my device returs with OCZ agility 3 60MB/s)
+Max price 80 (about 90$)

What can i choose?
I was thinking to:
-SSD 120GB Samsung 840 Basic (not pro) but I'm not sure about his performance on my platform [80]
-Seagate SHHD Momentus 7200.4 500GB [50] or Momentus XT [65]
-WD Black 500GB @7200 [50]
-Others (suggest me)

My Actual old Hard Disk (I hope to find something with double power :D )
Posted Image

Thank you in advance from Italy

Edited by kazar, 28 September 2013 - 06:58 AM.

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:12 PM

They're all going to be about the same-- the processor in that system is too slow to extract real performance from a modern SSD.

If you plan to migrate the SSD to another system in the future then I might still go SSD, but if not, the Seagate SSHD is probably the most attractive solution.

#3 kazar

kazar

• 3 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

They're all going to be about the same-- the processor in that system is too slow to extract real performance from a modern SSD.

If you plan to migrate the SSD to another system in the future then I might still go SSD, but if not, the Seagate SSHD is probably the most attractive solution.

Thank for your reply. I've found why transfer rate is slow on my platform us15 (small form factor of us15w,develop for embedded system, and adapted to netbook with z5xx processors like asus 1101-1201-t91, dell mini,acer aspire and so on). Directly from intel.com i found that on my device there is a fake sata port! Connector is sata but with a pata controller and this is why in all benchmarks that i found were max 60/65mb/s both with ssd and wd blu.
My dubt is how much can be different performance between samsung 840 and momentus xt on this kind of platform???

#4 jtsn

jtsn

• 94 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

Get a slow and cheap SSD with low power consumption, like SanDisk SSD G25 (not "Ultra", "Extreme" etc.). You will still get reasonable 2500 IOPS, which is two magnitudes above your current hard drive performance, combined with increased battery lifetime.

The choice is not about HDD vs. flash memory, it's about choosing the right flash memory. Power consumption is the issue here, not performance. So you don't go with something, which has 3 ARM cores (like Samsung 840), being more powerful than the central Atom CPU, but with something that looks more like a controller of a CF/SD card or USB flash drive instead, but has a SATA frontend.

With your CPU it should max out at about 120 MB/s sequential, 100 MB/s random 512 KB access and about 10 MB/s random 4K access. A 2.5 inch hard-drive is not remotely close to that.

Edited by jtsn, 01 October 2013 - 11:26 AM.

#5 kazar

kazar

• 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

Get a slow and cheap SSD with low power consumption, like SanDisk SSD G25 (not "Ultra", "Extreme" etc.). You will still get reasonable 2500 IOPS, which is two magnitudes above your current hard drive performance, combined with increased battery lifetime.

The choice is not about HDD vs. flash memory, it's about choosing the right flash memory. Power consumption is the issue here, not performance. So you don't go with something, which has 3 ARM cores (like Samsung 840), being more powerful than the central Atom CPU, but with something that looks more like a controller of a CF/SD card or USB flash drive instead, but has a SATA frontend.

With your CPU it should max out at about 120 MB/s sequential, 100 MB/s random 512 KB access and about 10 MB/s random 4K access. A 2.5 inch hard-drive is not remotely close to that.

Thank your for your answer but i'm tolking 840 basic not pro that is chiper than sandisk ssd g25 (79 vs 82)
But do you think that sandisk uses less power? (There is any value?)
Anyway sandisk has 128gb vs 840 basic 120gb..someone tells me that is for garbage collection..is better sandisk or samsung on my platform??
These are the lowend ssd available from amazon italy
74 kingston v300 120gb
79 samsung 840 120gb (many people say is better but i don't know in my platform)
82 sandisk g25 128gb

Thanks

#6 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:56 AM

I'd go with the Samsung given those alternatives, it's a good drive and reliable.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#7 jtsn

jtsn

• 94 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

Thank your for your answer but i'm tolking 840 basic not pro that is chiper than sandisk ssd g25 (79 vs 82)

The 64 GB G25 makes more sense for a low-end netbook and it does cost even less (around 40-50 Euros).

But do you think that sandisk uses less power? (There is any value?)

The SanDisk G25 uses much less power than a 2.5in hard drive. Most high-performance SSDs actually draw more power than a 2.5in 5400rpm hard drive. They're meant to replace 7200rpm HDDs.

Anyway sandisk has 128gb vs 840 basic 120gb..someone tells me that is for garbage collection..is better sandisk or samsung on my platform??
These are the lowend ssd available from amazon italy
74 kingston v300 120gb
79 samsung 840 120gb (many people say is better but i don't know in my platform)
82 sandisk g25 128gb

So they all cost almost the same and they will all have the same performance numbers inside your netbook. But some of them will reduce your battery lifetime more, especially the Kingston V300 with its Sandforce controller. It's your decision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users