LSI Configuration Utility

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pcarey

pcarey

• 13 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

For those of you who have not been able to get into your LSI RAID controller (HBA) Configuration Utility at boot-up, maybe this will help. The problem may be peculiar to the LSI SAS 9211-8i HBA, my ASUS P6X58D Premium motherboard or to the Intel X58 chipset, but Iíve heard of this also being a problem on some ASRock motherboards, among others.

To go into the LSI SAS 9211-8i HBA Configuration Utility (at least it works this way on my ASUS P6X58D Premium motherboard) Ė

1. On boot-up, press F8 (or whatever your system requires) for the Boot Menu Selection
screen. It will not load immediately.

2. When the LSI HBA signs on and tells you to press <CTRL C> to get into the LSI
Configuration Utility, do it. You will not go in to the Configuration Utility immediately.

3. When the Boot Menu Selection screen finally appears and, if you pressed <CTRL C>
at the correct time when the LSI card signed on, the LSI HBA will be one of the
available selections.

3a. If you did not press <CTRL C> at the right time during the LSI HBA sign-on, the LSI
HBA will NOT be one of the available selections and youíll have to re-boot and try it
all over again.

4. Select the LSI HBA for BOOT and you will then go into the LSI Configuration Utility
screen where you can define your RAID Array. Lots of luck there! One of the least
intuitive interfaces Iíve ever seen. Just muddle through it and youíll eventually get
your RAID Array set up the way you want it.

5. I wish I could afford an Intel RAID controller!

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA1366 motherboard
Intel i7 930 @ 3.2GHz Quad-Core Hyper-Threading
12GB DDR-3 1333 PC3-1066 Triple-Channel RAM @1178MHz
Two Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB SATA III HDD on ICH10R RAID 1
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA II external HDD in Vantec eSATA case
nVidia GeForce GT240 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 x16
ASUS DVD-E616A2 DVD-ROM
ASUS CRW-5232AX CD-R/RW
Optiarc AD-7200S SATA DVD+R/RW DL
External Pioneer DVR-217DBK SATA DVD+R/RW DL
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,574 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

Disabling some of your onboard 3rd party SATA controllers or other devices taking up PCI-e option ROM space may let your LSI (or other controller) show up without this hassle, although I am not familiar with your specific motherboard.

#3 mayya

mayya

• 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

I’m familiar with electronics so the installation of the hardware is not an issue for me. So I made the installation and got my computer running. This motherboard has 8 SATA ports. 4 for 6.0Gb/s and 4 for 3.0Gb/s. The 4 for 3.0Gb/s are used already. And because of the capacity of the 120G it is obviously to use the 6.0Gb/s ports. If you want to refer the User Guide you will find the information on pages 2-26 and 2-28. Currently it’s connected to SATA6G_E1. I also tried the SATAG_1 (but I didn’t check in the device manager to see how it showed).

#4 pyite

pyite

• 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

You could also try the MegaCLI utility.  The command line is not the most intuitive ever, so search for a cheat sheet.

Not all LSI cards use the same utility, though, but it is free and easy to try out (assuming you're using Linux... or just boot from USB to test it)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users