• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tonkpills

Tonkpills

• 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:24 AM

Hello everyone,

I just bought an ADATA XPG SX900 128 GB SSD Drive a couple weeks ago. I'm using it as my boot drive with Windows 8 Pro 64bits. I have configured all my libraries like Documents, Images and movies to be stored on a Seagate 1Tb drive (also almost new), as well all my apps and program data is in that drive so my SSD is free for just Windows and drivers. I fresh installed Windows, no migration was done, no back up was installed. The first 5 days my SDD flew gorgeously. My boot time was like 8 - 10 seconds, and turn-off time was like 3 - 5 seconds. However as the days went by the boot and turn-off times started to last longer and longer. Now is up to 30 seconds the minimum at start. I ran a bunch of tests on the SSD like Crystal Disk Mark and others and the disk was working good. I even defrag the SSD and that helped for a few boots but then it started to last longer again to start Windows. At last I disconnected all the storage-only drives (Seagate and WD) and just booted the SSD after the defrag and the boot times returned to 10+ seconds. So what's interfering between my SSD and the other drives if the other two drives are just for storage? They are not even full. Hope you can help. Thank you in advance.

My system specs are:

Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
Processor: AMD FX 8150 8-core 4.0Ghz
Memory: Kingston Hyper-X 8GB @1600Mhz
Video: EVGA GTX 660 Superclocked 2GB
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro 1000W
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Case: Cooler Master Haf-X
Drives:
ADATA XPG SX900 128GB SSD
Seagate 1Tb
WD Green 1Tb

#2 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 403 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

Have you done a complete surface test on both platter drives? Since your apps are on the platter drives, and some of them are running on startup, it's possible that a bad/slow area on the drive is causing delays during boot. Your SSD seems fine since disconnecting the platter drives allows normal boot times.

Also, avoid doing a full defrag on the SSD, you're essentially just burning up the NAND. If anything, do a "fragmented files only" defrag using UltraDefrag to clean up the filesystem.

EDIT: Also, try using this freebie on your SSD to see if anything changes.

Edited by FastMHz, 12 September 2013 - 10:49 AM.

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#3 Tonkpills

Tonkpills

• 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:45 PM

Have you done a complete surface test on both platter drives? Since your apps are on the platter drives, and some of them are running on startup, it's possible that a bad/slow area on the drive is causing delays during boot. Your SSD seems fine since disconnecting the platter drives allows normal boot times.

Also, avoid doing a full defrag on the SSD, you're essentially just burning up the NAND. If anything, do a "fragmented files only" defrag using UltraDefrag to clean up the filesystem.

EDIT: Also, try using this freebie on your SSD to see if anything changes.

Thanks FastMHz
Posting this at Toms Hardware we came across to different situations. The first thing they told not to defrag the SSD. I have turned off indexing from all storage drives. I've checked all drives and they seem OK with HD Tune Pro. We have seen that my SSD is only giving me 3Gbps out of 6Gbps. My Mobo SATAs supports 6Gb/s and my SATA cable does too. The firmware from the SSD is up to date also my BIOS. I have tried almost everything they've told me nothing seems to work. My boot time still 30 seconds or more. I really don't want to fresh install windows just to have the same problem and waste my time reinstalling and backing all up.
Any other suggestions?

#4 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:47 AM

Unplug your mechanical drives, see if boot performance improves? I think you said it did above-- or did it not?

I assume you're up to date on your drivers, and the same ones are in place that were in place when you had your 8-10 second boot-- or have the drivers changed since then?

#5 Tonkpills

Tonkpills

• 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 06:03 AM

UPDATE:

I fresh installed Windows.
I did an Acronis back up first. Then I reinstalled Windows. After reinstalling guess what, 1 - 3 seconds boot times no storage drives were connected though. Then I connected the storage drives and the boot time just went up to 3 - 6 seconds. That's great I thought, but no drivers or back up were installed yet.

At last I recover the back up from Acronis. Every little thing on my system is the same after the back up was restored, it wasn't a clone drive back up. Just a regular backup. But my boot time is 3 - 5 seconds with all back up restored and all storage drives connected!!! So the problem is somehow solved but I don't know how the re installation helped, since the back up just put everything back including drivers. If it was a bad windows installation why at first Windows worked well for a week or so? What affected the boot time along the way?

The interesting thing is that the SSD writing speed still at 3Gb/s and not at 6Gb/s, which I haven solved and I don't know how to, however now we know the writing speed, SSD firmware, BIOS or anything else was the problem. I will leave this open for a week to see if the boot times change along the way. Also I'll remain open to suggestions about how to solve the SSD writing speed issue.

Thanks to all of you for your help! Have a great weekend!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users