Cheap but effective RAID

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PD Det

PD Det

• 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

I am a Detective in a small agency in the mid-west. Recently our overworked and under funded IT department had a cataclysmic network error which very nearly destroyed all digital information for all users in our Police Department. Since then, it has been decided that one cluster of data that would be unforgivable to lose, are the photographs taken on scene at cases (literally hundreds a day).

Currently, we have two lab technicians which handle the transfer of pictures from camera, to network and our network guy SAYS he has redundant backup now but I want on site, (preferably OFF network) backup that's relatively cheap. What I would LIKE to do, is get an enclosure, run two 2 TB discs on a RAID 1 mirror for ONLY pictures and as the drives fill, put them in antistatic bags, and log them in our evidence vault. The problem is, I want the single array to speak to TWO different computers so either lab tech can access it as needed. Additionally (as stated before) if I can, I want it OFF the network.

Is this possible? Is there such a product/array that allows this? Or is there another idea that any of you have?

My RAID experience is nill, so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,309 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:01 AM

You could do something like the WD Duo which provides easy access to two drives in RAID1 inside.

http://www.storagere...bolt_duo_review

They have several variations of the product as well, if you need more performance they have a VelociRaptor version for instance. It's very easy to use and slide drives in and out. DAS though is meant for one user at a time, so the multi-tenancy that you want won't work well, you need a small NAS for that.

I think I'd rather go that route for you anyway, get a small Synology and just restrict access. Being on the network isn't inherently bad, opening up access to it may be though.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users