• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

WD has today announced its new My Passport Slim USB 3.0 external hard drive, available in 1TB (WDBGMT0010BAL) with a 2TB model (WDBPDZ0020BAL) expected later this year. My Passport Slim features connectivity and an initial NTFS format intended for Windows PCs, but also features the type of aluminum enclosure which we usually only see with WDs offerings for Mac. The drive is designed to maximize its utility and competitiveness as portable storage for consumers, offering 256-bit hardware encryption, WD SmartWare Pro local backup functionality, and integration with the Dropbox cloud backup service.

WD 1TB My Passport Slim Review (WDBGMT0010BAL)

#2 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 121 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:43 PM

What drive is actually inside? I can't think of any for the 2tb version, must be something new that they are field testing.

WD's design team must be the most confused collection of individuals in the industry. White? For PC? Really? :blink:

PS. Get a hint from seagate - black for pc, silver for mac, grey for both. <_<

Edited by ChrisMcPole, 05 September 2013 - 04:45 PM.

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

We didn't take this one apart, doesn't really matter these days as the USB board is on there instead of a SATA. They've used the thick 2TB in their portable line before, they're a little chunky ;)

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 121 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

We didn't take this one apart, doesn't really matter these days as the USB board is on there instead of a SATA. They've used the thick 2TB in their portable line before, they're a little chunky ;)

Oh right, the 2 TB WD Elements, I thought it might be something new. So it must be a blue one, or a b&w label as I call them, which is essentially the same thing. Boring <_<

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

But, the case is a heck of a lot nicer...more like their Mac line than the typical plastic shells they had been using. More expensive too I suppose, but if aesthetics are at all important, these are much better.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 ChrisMcPole

ChrisMcPole

• 121 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

But, the case is a heck of a lot nicer...more like their Mac line than the typical plastic shells they had been using. More expensive too I suppose, but if aesthetics are at all important, these are much better.

Seagate switched to all metallic cases for all lines, I think it has something to do with it. My problem with this one is the color. White for PC just does not make sense. From marketing point of view, mainly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users