New storage via router

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FirstUser

FirstUser

• 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

Hi all. I'm looking for options to add approx. 2TB additional storage at home (will be used mostly for storing photos, videos / movies and general backups). I'm thinking of going with a new router and an external storage device (the two will be connected with USB). I would like the storage device to be constantly online, so I would access it via any computer on my wifi network any time.

The router I've chosen is Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router EA6300.

Could you please suggest some proper storage device to complement the router? I would like to have a reasonable speed, so it wouldn't take forever to load bigger files from the external drive. Reliability is also an important issue.

#2 s_a_r99

s_a_r99

• 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

Hi all. I'm looking for options to add approx. 2TB additional storage at home (will be used mostly for storing photos, videos / movies and general backups). I'm thinking of going with a new router and an external storage device (the two will be connected with USB). I would like the storage device to be constantly online, so I would access it via any computer on my wifi network any time.

The router I've chosen is Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Router EA6300.

Could you please suggest some proper storage device to complement the router? I would like to have a reasonable speed, so it wouldn't take forever to load bigger files from the external drive. Reliability is also an important issue.

Another option to meet your needs would be a combined router & storage such as: http://www.wdc.com/e...cts.aspx?id=740

#3 FirstUser

FirstUser

• 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

Another option to meet your needs would be a combined router & storage such as: http://www.wdc.com/e...cts.aspx?id=740

Thanks for a suggestion. I've considered these options, but fore some reason I'm preferring to have more flexibility in this combo and be able to change the storage device easily without messing with the router. So I would still go with 2 separate items.

Would such drive like WD My Passport suit my purpose? I like that it is available with 2TB, has USB3 compatibility and is easily portable. But is it a good fit if I want the drive to be constantly on (speed, overheating, noise, other side effects)? BTW I have both Mac and Windows computers at home.

#4 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

Check Smallnetbuilder.com for router USB port performance... a lot of the time it's pretty anemic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users