Serious HD problem

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shaker82

shaker82

• 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:20 PM

yesterday my laptop went frozen and I had to force shut down, after rebooting the hard disk was not recognized any more , neither form the laptop nor when I connect to the IDE-usb-converter to other PCs
Whenever I connect it I get the feeling that something inside is spinning for 4 seconds and then stops without any ticking noise.
My hard disk looks pretty much like this one
http://images.geeksi...HC-NDW-unit.jpg
Or this one
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Samsung-Spinpoint-HM160HC-160-GB-Festplatte-HDD-Laptopfestplatte-2-5-Pata-IDE-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/V-wAAOxydl5SI2~g/$%28KGrHqN,!lsFIBtU92!iBSI2+gD4ng~~60_12.JPG

Samsung
Model
Spinpoint M5
MPN
HM160HC
EAN

So what do you advice me to do?
Should I take the risk and replace the printed circuit with one taken form a HD with the same model number?
I really do not want tot lose the big amount of data inside, please advice!!

#2 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 403 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

I'd give a PCB swap a go if there is data on there you really need. The mode of failure sounds like it might be mechanically alright, unless it was the spindle motor that went up.

If you replace PCB and you get your data off, discontinue using the drive and replace it, as its reliability is down the tube at this point.

Absolutely do not open the drive up!! If PCB swap doesn't work, consult a professional data recovery company.

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#3 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 739 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

I really do not want tot lose the big amount of data inside, please advice!!

And for the next time: don't trust important data to any single drive - backup is your friend!

MrS

#4 shaker82

shaker82

• 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

thank you all for your responses.....
Now after one month searching for the right model, I bought a HD with the same model and the same production date :)
Before doing this big step and replace the PCB, I would like to emphasise one thing that when the problem started I was watching some video and then suddenly everything froze with a very loud sound coming from the speakers. At this point I had to force a shutdown operation.
Now as I already explained, the hard disk spins for only four seconds and then stops. So what do you think, what is the problem is it a head crash? a defected hard disk controller?

#5 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

Same model and production date-- but did you also check to verify the controller chips are all the same, and transplant any firmware chips if possible?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users