• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rafal Vlx

Rafal Vlx

• 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

Hi,
I've just got HP DL380 G5 server for small company, till i got it i believed it has 3.5 inch bays for HDD, and was thinking about inserting SATA WD RE4 drives. But now i'm stuck. It's my first time i'm building server, and i dont know wchich 2.5 SATA drives select.

I've never managed any RAID array yet so topics like 'HDD's dropping from RAID' issues makes me fear. I've found drives that have absolutly no TLER, set to 0s:
WD AV-25 series, which is the same as WD AV-GP, but in 2.5" form factor. But as those drives do not have ANY error correction, will they work with HP SmartArray P400 controller in RAID 5 mode?

My thinking is: RAID Edition gives up after 7s, and notifies controller about that, so that RAID controller should take care of error. If WD AV series gives up after 0s RAID controller should also take care of that? The question is: Does AV series WD drives notifies RAID controllers about that fact or it just proceeds writing?

Second question is:
Are there any 2.5 inch hdds that will run in RAID 5 without dropping to frequently? Considering WD Black 2.5, Seagate 7200.5 (ST9500423AS), or some hitachis traveler, will they work?

Edit: Server will consist of 3 hdd's combined in RAID5, OS, and everything will be on it.

Edited by Rafal Vlx, 29 August 2013 - 08:02 AM.

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

Is this for actual production use? If it is, run appropriate nearline-targeted SATA drives. I would not run standard desktop drives if this is for actual production use and actual system uptime is important.

Also, RAID5 is a bad idea due to poor write performance and rebuild time vulnerability; run a single RAID1 array if you must. Intermixing I/O needs through a single array instead of multiple arrays (or just multiple independent drives) also generally is sub-optimal for performance.

Is there any reason why you want 2.5" drives in a server you believe is designed for 3.5" drives? Or did you get the 2.5" one?

#3 Rafal Vlx

Rafal Vlx

• 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

Is this for actual production use? If it is, run appropriate nearline-targeted SATA drives. I would not run standard desktop drives if this is for actual production use and actual system uptime is important.

Also, RAID5 is a bad idea due to poor write performance and rebuild time vulnerability; run a single RAID1 array if you must. Intermixing I/O needs through a single array instead of multiple arrays (or just multiple independent drives) also generally is sub-optimal for performance.

Is there any reason why you want 2.5" drives in a server you believe is designed for 3.5" drives? Or did you get the 2.5" one?

Unfortunetly, i got server with only 2.5 inch bays for drives. It's lets say "near production use". I've got budget only for 3x WD5003ABYX, because initialy I've planned to run three of them in RAID 5 to get maximum storage with at least some data reliability. I'm looking for some hdds that will not drop from RAID to often and will provide at least 500GB storage with unvulnerability to at least one disk failure. AFAIK that dropping from RAID happens because of Error Recovery. I've found some info that Hitachi drives works well in RAID, is it true? F.eg. Hitachi (HGST) 7K500, 7K750 or Z7K500 do drop of RAID because of entering recovery?

#4 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:10 AM

Can you run two 1TB drives instead? RAID1 is a great deal less taxing on rebuilds than RAID5...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users