Data Loss 3TB Internal Hard Drive

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 12padams

12padams

• 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:51 AM

I won't go into much detail below but if you need more information feel free to ask me for more details.

So a few months ago I bought a third internal hard drive for my Lenovo Thinkstation S20 computer. It's my biggest yet at 3TB. When I stuck it into my computer and tried formatting it under windows 7 however it acted as though the drive was about 700 gig rather than about 2.7 terabytes. I then decided to boot into Ubuntu and use GParted to format the disk. Instantly it said something along the lines of detecting the end point of the drive being in the wrong place making other operating systems think the drive is smaller than it really is. It said click here to fix the problem so I did then formatted with the ntfs filesystem (since I would use it with windows rather than Linux) thinking everything was solved...

I booted back into windows 7 and it said the drive was 2.7 terabytes. So I started putting all my stuff on it and using it like normal. As the drive got filled up with all my stuff however I started to notice issues. I'm a fan of Sony Vegas Pro and use it to do all my editing for my youtube videos on my OSFirstTimer youtube account. I never really had a problem with Sony vegas when editing the videos on my c: and d: drives except for rare crashes but now that I edit them on the 3tb G: drive... wow it's a nightmare.

I keep a backup of all the raw footage because it all gets corrupted within an hour. Literally vid5 is corrupted then vid8 then vid2 and so on. After importing them to Sony vegas and editing for a while it suddenly says that the file is corrupted. I can't even open the raw footage with media player or in other video editing software so I have to keep exporting the videos. I originally thought Sony vegas was the problem but now I'm thinking its the harddrive. This becomes highly apparent when rending a final video. The chances of it getting corrupt while I render the final video (with the raw footage on the g drive) to the g drive is 99% while the chances of it corrupting when I render to the D drive is only 10-20%. Also the images I'm using in Sony vegas are getting corrupted but the videos (especially large ones) get corrupted so much more often. Also 2 videos files not associated with Sony vegas Randomly got corrupt recently that were stored on the g drive. I'm not sure if anything else has gotten corrupted on it though...

A good point to note at this point is that every time I open GParted on Ubuntu its constantly giving me that warning about the g drive where the end point is not in the right place. It's also saying that that the drive is all unallocated with 2.7 terabytes of unallocated space and no partitions. With all those warnings from Ubuntu I decided to do a check on windows 7 with the disk check program and ticked the boxes to fix filesystem problems and recover bad clusters or whatever automatically. After doing this it said it detected and fixed problems so I checked the drive capacity on windows 7 and it is now saying that I only have 52 gig of space left on the drive out of 2.7 terabytes when before "fixing the problems" I had well over a terabyte of free space left.

The scariest thing is that when I open the g drive, highlight everything and select properties to find out how much space everything is taking it says the files and folders total 1.14 terabytes. This is impossible because the drive says I only have 52 gig left out of 2.7 terabytes. I haven't even gone back to Ubuntu to see what it says about the drive in case I lose everything...

What should I do? I need my space and having only 1.15 terabytes available to use on a 3 terabyte drive is unacceptable. I'm very worried about doing any more fixes incase I lose more data... I've got the most important stuff backed up but it would be a big hassle to lose all the other stuff... I'm lost, could I get some advice?

Edited by 12padams, 27 August 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#2 Slade

Slade

• 19 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

It sounds like you initialized the drive using MBR rather than GPT in the first place, which won't work correctly on a drive of that size. If that is the case, I would get all the data off, and start over.

But first you should check to see that your motherboard/bios supports drives over 2.2TB -- some of the older S20 machines may not have, at least not without a bios update.

#3 12padams

12padams

• 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

It sounds like you initialized the drive using MBR rather than GPT in the first place, which won't work correctly on a drive of that size. If that is the case, I would get all the data off, and start over.

But first you should check to see that your motherboard/bios supports drives over 2.2TB -- some of the older S20 machines may not have, at least not without a bios update.

The drive is definitely GPT. Do you think splitting it down to 2 partitions would help or could that lead to data loss?

#4 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 403 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

This sounds like classic BIOS limitation. I've had experiences where if the BIOS didn't support a drive over a certain size, once you wrote data past that boundary, another part of the drive starts getting overwritten. So every time you write something beyond 2.2TB, or whatever your BIOS limitation is, you're overwriting existing data, and corrupting it.

Don't repartition, reformat, etc. Remove the drive from the system now to prevent further data loss, and either update the BIOS or put it into a USB3/Firewire external enclosure that supports drives that large.

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#5 12padams

12padams

• 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:04 AM

Don't repartition, reformat, etc. Remove the drive from the system now to prevent further data loss, and either update the BIOS or put it into a USB3/Firewire external enclosure that supports drives that large.

How would I update the Bios? It's a thinkstation s20 I got in 2010. Where would I find the bios update and is installing a bios update dangerous? Do I do it while my computer is booted into windows? I really need help on this one, thanks!

#6 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 403 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Carefully follow all instructions from the Lenovo site here :-)

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users