Samsung 840 Pro password locked

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rbaevergreen

rbaevergreen

• 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

My Latitude e6510 was rejecting (beeping after entering more) the password entry beyond a certain character limit when I tried entering a password for my Samsung 840 Pro. I then attempted to re-enter, but I was having beeping errors when entering a number. I then used all letters, but now this password isn't accepted.

Earlier today, Samsung phone support (now closed) said to secure erase the drive. I used a system that has no knowledge of SSD passwords as I suggested to the phone rep earlier today. The Samsung Secure Erase tool (bootable CD) says that the drive is locked and I need to unlock before erasing. Any suggestions (other than waiting until tomorrow to call)?

Thanks

#2 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

Could you include some backstory on this situation? Did you successfully ever lock it in a notebook? There are also two terms when dealing with SSDs and trying to secure erase them... first is frozen and the second is locked. Most systems will "freeze" a drive to prevent malicious programs from secure erasing it during normal operation. The way to get around that is to have the drive as secondary, unplug it when the computer is on, and then plug it back in. The next is password-locked. If you managed to lock the SSD with a password you can't remember, nothing besides Samsung support can fix it, since you setup a new master password for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users