• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 banana joe

banana joe

• 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

Hello,

I'm running a Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB on SATA 2 and inactive AHCI (Windows 8 via Boot Camp on a Mac Pro).
I'm getting the following results in the Samsung Magician benchmark:

-Read: 223 MB/s, 8166 IOPS
-Write: 237 MB/s, 19667 IOPS

Is that normal?

Obviously I'm not expecting full speeds given the system's limitations, but 8166 IOPS in reading seem very low considering it should get up to 100100.
Given that I cannot activate AHCI mode due to Boot Camp, would I notice much difference in terms of system start up and applications opening if I were to buy a SATA 3 controller?

Thank you very much for the help!

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:38 PM

What block size/test pattern are you using? Is the drive properly aligned?

Without such information it's impossible to say-- 8k IOPS might be right given your test settings.

#3 banana joe

banana joe

• 2 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

What block size/test pattern are you using? Is the drive properly aligned?

Without such information it's impossible to say-- 8k IOPS might be right given your test settings.

Hi, thanks for your response!
The drive should be properly aligned since I made a clean install of Windows 8. The partition starting offset is 209.735.680 byte, which can be divided by 4096. I don't know about the block size/test pattern because Samsun Magician doesn't specify.

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:00 AM

We're reaching out to Samsung to see what that test is doing, it's not something we use so we don't know what's going on there. My guess is a few different mixed workloads given the numbers you're seeing. We got close to the 100K number on pure 4K read, but the same numbers you show on 4K random read.

http://www.storagere..._840_pro_review

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 SR Writer

SR Writer

• 147 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

Hi, thanks for your response!
The drive should be properly aligned since I made a clean install of Windows 8. The partition starting offset is 209.735.680 byte, which can be divided by 4096. I don't know about the block size/test pattern because Samsun Magician doesn't specify.

We've gotten a response back from Samsung. They said that "The test range of the performance benchmark is 1GB. Sequential read/write is 128KB and Random read/write is 4KB." So there is a mix in the workloads.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users