Photo

Seatools windows fail, seatools DOS pass?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scott.trimble

Scott.trimble

• 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:54 PM

Just bought new Seagate 2tb desktop drive from bestbuy. As the title says it fails the seatools for windows short test, but passes any and all tests under seatools for Dos. Another oddity, I've tried a couple of windows utilities that read smart values, including crystal diskmark, and neither can read anything from this drive, not even the current temp. Can you shed any light on this?

#2 Scott.trimble

Scott.trimble

• 3 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

Just bought new Seagate 2tb desktop drive from bestbuy. As the title says it fails the seatools for windows short test, but passes any and all tests under seatools for Dos. Another oddity, I've tried a couple of windows utilities that read smart values, including crystal diskmark, and neither can read anything from this drive, not even the current temp. Can you shed any light on this?

Well, at least seatools for dos is also failing the drive now. I set seatools up for a complete erase overnight, re-ran some tests, and get failures from both utilities.

Thanks for reading.

#3 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:34 AM

Sounds like a return/RMA for you. It is odd that nothing else was picking up SMART data....at least a DOA is better than death later ;)

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#4 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

As long as you show a fail in some version of SeaTools (or whatnot), you can RMA it. Doesn't need to fail in both... (as odd as that behaviour is...)

#5 Scott.trimble

Scott.trimble

• 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:42 PM

Sounds like a return/RMA for you. It is odd that nothing else was picking up SMART data....at least a DOA is better than death later ;)

Thanks for replying, that goes for continuum as well. The drive was purchased locally in the last week and has already been refunded. I now own a 3tb Seagate, and am in the process of testing it before it's pressed into service. Last time I sourced drives mail order, I paid for it with return shipping on 5 straight RMAs. I don't do mail order for hard drives any more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users