Migrate Adaptec 6805 from RAID 5 to 6

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Slade

Slade

• 17 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

I'm running the latest Adaptec MaxView Storage manager on a 6805.

I started with 4 3TB disks in RAID 5 but have expanded the array twice, now up to 6 disks. I want to migrate to RAID 6 but that option is not available adding one more drive (my current hot spare). Do I need to add 2 new disks to migrate from RAID 5 to 6 on my 6805? Thanks!

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

I don't know if an online migration like this is possible-- does the manual or Adaptec KB say if that is a supported function?

#3 Slade

Slade

• 17 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

Yes, it migration from 5 to 6 is supported using the MaxView software with the 6805, but it has limitations -- and I think that I vaguely recall a migration from RAID5 to RAID6 requires the addition of 2 new disks for some reason. I just don't want to buy another disk unless I really need it.

I really like this adapter and the software but it has a few quirks -- one thing I found is that you cannot expand a RAID5 array through 10TB on a Windows machine (like from 3 3TB disks to 5 disks, it just hangs when rebuilding and it hits 10TB), you have to re-create the array, at least that was the case when I was running Adaptec Storage Manager.

#4 Slade

Slade

• 17 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

I just got an answer from Adaptec support -- there is a bug in the MaxView software that requires you add four disks to migrate from RAID 5 to 6, but you can do it with just a single disk using the arcconf command line utility. Arcconf here I come. :)

#5 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:57 PM

Let us know how it goes! (and that's a hell of a bug!)

#6 Slade

Slade

• 17 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

Well I finally got the raid level modification to work using the command line, there were two things that were a bit tricky. (1) dedicated hot spares that will go into the array have to be unassigned first, and (2) the channel# ID# listed for all the drives is not the channel 0 or 1 that shows up under MaxView in the graphic view -- rather the data listed for each drive if you look at the properties under the physical view was correct. And ARCCONF only required the addition of one disk to migrate from RAID 5 to 6. So with 7 disks attached (none on channel 1 connector 0, which would have been 0 4) the syntax that worked was:

ARCCONF MODIFY 1 FROM 0 TO MAX 6 0 0 0 1 0 2 0 3 0 5 0 6 0 7

#7 Slade

Slade

• 17 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

My final report on this effort.

Unbelievably, the modify finished successfully yesterday (Sept 23), so 16 days to migrate a 6 disk raid 5 to a 7 disk raid 6 with 8TB of existing data, with a failed drive during the process that hung things up for a few days.

Obviously this was just done to see if it would work, I would highly recommend just building a new array and reloading the data. But it was fun to see that the array was optimal yesterday. :)

#8 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

Timeframe sounds about right given you had a failed disk. No surprises here. :)

Glad it worked in the end, tho!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users