Rail Mounts

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Bennett

Jack Bennett

• 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:20 AM

Hello new to these forums... I've tried to figure this out myself but I can't seem to find Rail mounts anywhere for hard drives....
I recently bought an SSD and a 1TB WD Cavier Black internal hard drive... Now I had no troubles getting the SSD in as I had a 2.5inch to 3.5inch bracket for it, but my 1TB Hard drive is currently sitting on two rulers as it did not come with any rails or mounting screws... (I bought these hard drives at Canada computers).

Unfortunately I cannot seem to find mounting rails at all... I've found 3.5inch to 5.25inch brackets but haven't found any rails to just put on my hard drive so I can slide it in...
I've checked Newegg, Canada Computers, Best Buy, Future shop, Tiger Direct and Cosco...

So where do I find mounting rails?

(If I can't find any, I'll just buy the 3.5inch to 5.25 inch bracket as I have a 3.5inch bay and a 5.25 inch bay, I also have a 2.5inch bay that can be taken in and out of the computer but I lack space for it... my case is a Haf-912)

Also if someone told me the proper name for these mounting rails, so that my search is more accurate

Edited by Jack Bennett, 13 August 2013 - 10:26 AM.

#2 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

What case is this? If a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter fit... the hard drive should fit because thats what the adapter emulates.

#3 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

If your case uses rails, it should have come with them. Which case do you have?

Case rails are generally make/model specific, so you can't just randomly buy a set. (although if you randomly buy 4 or 5 different sets, odds are good you'll get the right one ;) ).

#4 Jack Bennett

Jack Bennett

• 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:50 AM

Unfortunately I bought the computer custom built from a friend who needed some money to pay off some of his school tuition and it didn't come with any of that stuff... and its a 3.5inch hard drive (Just to clarify I just need rails for it) but if I cannot find any I will resort to a 3.5 - 5.25 bracket for the 5.25 bay as that would be the only way to mount it.

I have a HAF-912 Case

http://www.coolermas...haf912/home.php

Edit: Yeah it'll I found out on CoolerMaster you can get replacement parts, but seeing how I live in Canada and it would most likely ship from the US, it would be cheaper to get a bracket.
Edit: Yep like $7 for the entire HAF-912 Accessories but shipping is $20 UPS, and then there could be an additional border fee -_-

Edited by Jack Bennett, 14 August 2013 - 11:12 AM.

#5 eshap

eshap

• 115 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

I'm not clear if you need something specific to the case or just general rails. If it's case specific, ask the manufacturer.

And in general, search on eBay. Maybe something around here:
http://www.ebay.com/...ard Drive Rails
http://www.ebay.com/...20Bay%20Adapter

Edited by eshap, 14 August 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#6 s_a_r99

s_a_r99

• 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:38 PM

You'd be much better off mounting the WD drive on the existing rails to prevent abnormal vibration rather than mount the SSD. 3.5" HDD's mounted in a 5.25" bracket typically are susceptible to vibration issues. Yes, the 3.5" to 5.25" rolled steel bracket may seem sturdy but minute vibrations can cause a drive to miss reads/writes and blow a revolution slowing overall performance. Mount the HDD, let the SSD float until you get more brackets.

#7 Jack Bennett

Jack Bennett

• 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:48 PM

You'd be much better off mounting the WD drive on the existing rails to prevent abnormal vibration rather than mount the SSD. 3.5" HDD's mounted in a 5.25" bracket typically are susceptible to vibration issues. Yes, the 3.5" to 5.25" rolled steel bracket may seem sturdy but minute vibrations can cause a drive to miss reads/writes and blow a revolution slowing overall performance. Mount the HDD, let the SSD float until you get more brackets.

Haha just kind of annoying ya know? The freakin shipping cost is more than the actual accessory kit but I do see you point with the hard drive vibrations... I've asked my friend to look around his house maybe he put the stuff in a box or somethen. Overall this threads solved unless you guys know any Canadian sites that sell Haf-912 accessory kits.

#8 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:42 PM

If you only need one set of rails (as opposed to a whole case's worth), might be worth poking around some forums with large Canadian contingents to see if anyone could send you just one pair... or checking with any Candian resellers for Coolermaster?

Heck e-mail Coolermaster directly, see if they can just send you one pair of drive rails in a padded envelopment (as opposed to the full accessory box) via USPS First Class? They might tell you no, they can't, but asking is free... ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users