SMART ULLtraDIMM SSD Announced Discussion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SR Writer

SR Writer

• 147 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:25 AM

SMART is announcing ULLtraDIMM, the first enterprise-class ultra-low latency (ULL) SSD, which by connecting to the memory channel by way of its DIMM form factor is cost-effective and yet still delivers DRAM-like performance. The latency figures achieved via this technology optimize the ULLtraDIMM for applications that include high frequency trading, cloud computing, virtualization, virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) and Big Data analytics. While some organizations and their workloads require the super high IOPS figures, many others have the need for extremely consistent, low-latency. The ULLtraDIMM delivers on both of those requirements.
SMART ULLtraDIMM SSD Announced

#2 cryptz

cryptz

• 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:15 AM

Just curious, the diablo article said it could be accessed as block storage. I am assuming then that drivers are required as i would not expect something off of a memory bank to be seen as a storage controller natively. Any information on how this works and also pricing? This seems like a great concept.

Edited by cryptz, 08 August 2013 - 09:18 AM.

#3 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

No word on pricing yet, but the drivers would allow the system to interact with it as a block device. During our discussion with Diablo, they work with the server vendor to modify the BIOS to make it know whats DRAM and whats flash and divide it out as such. Interesting concept and I'm excited to get my hands on it soon.

#4 cryptz

cryptz

• 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

No word on pricing yet, but the drivers would allow the system to interact with it as a block device. During our discussion with Diablo, they work with the server vendor to modify the BIOS to make it know whats DRAM and whats flash and divide it out as such. Interesting concept and I'm excited to get my hands on it soon.

Hmm that sorta implies it may be hard to outfit a server with these after the fact, but i guess time will tell.

#5 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

SMART claims significant update by big server vendors, so we'll see.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#6 patpro

patpro

• 7 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:53 AM

This is really exiting, but the BIOS modification kills my dream to put some of these in my current Supermicro servers, or in my personnal Mac Pro. I still can't wait to read a full review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users