Adaptec 3805 and new disks

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SunMaster

SunMaster

• 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

I bought 4x new wd red drives to replace my old disks in my 3805 raid box. Big mistake, I can't make these disks work as they disconnect randomly from the controller. My choice is to stick with the red drives and buy a newer raidcontroller, the 5805 is supposed to work with these drives, or try get Seagates 3g nas drives instead.

Is anyone successfuly using the 3g Seagate NAS drives with th 3805 controller?

#2 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,156 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

We've only tested those drives single in system for reviews or multiples in NAS boxes where they're intended to live. While they "should" work on RAID cards I'm pretty sure WD and Seagate aren't going to support that and the RAID card guys probably aren't trying that hard if at all to validate the drives on their cards.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#3 erb

erb

• 46 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:12 PM

It's an old controller, doesn't surprise me. I would just get the new controller.

#4 SunMaster

SunMaster

• 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

It's an old controller, doesn't surprise me. I would just get the new controller.

Well, I've run a day now with Seagates and no problems so far. It seems Seagate got something right that WD didn't.

#5 erb

erb

• 46 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:00 AM

Good to know, thanks.

#6 suicidegybe

suicidegybe

• 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

I am having the same problem. My Adaptec 3805 was working fine until I tried to create a RAID 5 with 8 3 TB WD Reds. It keeps dropping the disks for bad sectors but full surface scans of the disks come back clean. I am in talks with WD to figure it out. What firmware is on your 3805. I already ordered a 5805 to replace the 3805 but would still like to sort it out.

#7 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,156 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:35 AM

Let us know how WD supports you in this...since again, it's not exactly the intended use case for the drives...even so, they "should" work in hardware RAID.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#8 dietrc70

dietrc70

• 106 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:37 PM

Dumb question, but did you make sure to install the latest Adaptec firmware?  3TB drives are supported on the 3 series but only with recent firmware.

#9 suicidegybe

suicidegybe

• 2 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

Yes my firmware is the newest. Anyway I got my 5805 a couple of days ago, after the array was finished building I got some great results. It is just a simple crystal disk mark score but the numbers are awesome. 8 disk 3TB WD red RAID 5

Attached Files

#10 cbrworm

cbrworm

• 131 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:36 AM

Well, I've run a day now with Seagates and no problems so far. It seems Seagate got something right that WD didn't.

Which Seagate's?  their NAS drive?

BTW, SuicideGybe - nice numbers.  Do you have your card in a PCIe 3.0 slot?  It seems that I maxed out at 874/730 also w/6 (7,200) drives, in a PCIe 2.0 slot I maxed out <600MB/s.  I'll see if I can find a picture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users