• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xypoon

xypoon

• 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

Hello!

I bought Samsung 840 250gb SSD about 2-3 months ago. I migrated my windows from my HDD to my new SSD with Samsung's software included in the DVD. It finished and everything was running well... for about a month. Then I started to get I/O disk errors first in skype, then else where. After a while my SSD wouldn't boot at all - blue screen. It caused me a lot of troubles with my work but anyway after many tries I managed to boot with the SSD with Windows Repair option. I just copied my most important projects to my HDD, reset and the ssd wouldn't boot again.

I thought the problem was Windows' migration and I had to install a new clean Windows on an empty SSD. I have a lot of stuff to install manually and considering that I need my PC for work, installing a clean windows is a pain but I managed to find time and formatted the SSD(It wouldn't format at first but I managed to do a secure erase with unplugging the sata3 power cable and plugging it back) and then I installed a clean Windows 7 x64. I spent basically a day installing software, configuring stuff, etc. I felt once again the speed of the SSD, everything looked great and I was happy. I was browsing some web pages when suddenly - everything freezes for about 2-3 seconds - afterwards my cursor's icon 'lags' to change between arrow to hand, etc when mouse hovering on links or text. Then it happened many times. The next day I had work on my PC so I didn't boot with the SSD because I couldn't rely on it and worked on my HDD. As soon as I had time I booted on my SSD again to see how it goes and if there is a way to fix it - I used it for not so long but I didn't experience the freezes from the last time yet I experience something different - the Adobe software I use wouldn't start - it returns errors on start and says configuration error - uninstall and reinstall the product. Another program returns a missing DLL on start.

I have update the SSD's firmware with the latest one. Everything else is configured properly I believe - AHCI is enabled in BIOS, the other options suggested by Samsung's software are enabled too. DeFrag is off, etc. Let me know if there's anything else that's so crucial to the SSD.

I can't continue to reinstall software and Windows just to have it not running the next day... It's a pain in the a**. I would have never bought an SSD if I knew it would cause me so much trouble. Now even if I install a new Windows and software again I'll be expecting the SSD to mess up and I'll have to backup every hour of work... Is there a way to fix my SSD, is such behaviour usual for SSDs and what's the cause? Or I've got a bad SSD and should try to use my warranty to get it(hopefully) exchanged for another one?

I'm sorry for the long post - I wanted to explain everything. Thank you very much!

Edited by xypoon, 30 July 2013 - 07:28 PM.

#2 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 403 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

That's not typical SSD behavior, I'd RMA that drive.

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#3 Bytebite

Bytebite

• 64 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:58 AM

RMA should help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users