• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bobje

bobje

• 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

Hey!

I am looking for a new laptop. Because I travel a lot it had to be light. I found that the Samsung NP900X3C-A05NL suited my needs. But after a couple of minutes googling, I discovered that there is a difference in SSD their reliability. I concluded SLC is more reliable then MLC. So I am trying to figure out if the laptop I want to purchase has a MLC or SLC. I found out the product name of the SSD in the laptop is: SDSA5DK-128g-1004 54-90. But I can't figure out if this is a MLC or SLC. Is there anyone who can help me out or give me advice?

Many thanks in advance!

#2 Bytebite

Bytebite

• 60 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

There aren't normal SSDs having SLC for mSATA. MLC is good today, companies like Intel or Samsung use it also for there enterprise drives. Today there are also SSDs using TLC, which are MLC able to save 3 Bit per cell.
But usually most SSDs don't fail because of slow dying NAND chips. They die because of many other issues, when they die. SSDs usually sustain much longer compared to HDDs, but every technology can fail.
Solution is to create regular backups on an external USB-drive and your done. Just spend 50$ and you can sleep better.

#3 [ETA]MrSpadge

[ETA]MrSpadge

• 713 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

Agreed - you can usually write 100's of TBs to mid-sized MLC SSDs before they wear out. It's pretty much no issue with modern controllers. At work we're using many Samsung 840's with TLC, since regular desktops / workstations don't write all that much.

MrS

#4 bobje

bobje

• 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

Many thanks!! You guys helped alot!

#5 kingfast ssd

kingfast ssd

• 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:17 AM

Hey!

I am looking for a new laptop. Because I travel a lot it had to be light. I found that the Samsung NP900X3C-A05NL suited my needs. But after a couple of minutes googling, I discovered that there is a difference in SSD their reliability. I concluded SLC is more reliable then MLC. So I am trying to figure out if the laptop I want to purchase has a MLC or SLC. I found out the product name of the SSD in the laptop is: SDSA5DK-128g-1004 54-90. But I can't figure out if this is a MLC or SLC. Is there anyone who can help me out or give me advice?

Many thanks in advance!

Generally speaking, MLC is used on large capacity SSD. a MLC flash can reach 64GB, and a SLC flash SLC reach 16GB. but SLC is much better than MLC at reading and write performance and SLC has much longer lifetime against MLC. Normally, SLC can repeat reading and write around 100,000 times. so SLC cost more than MLC. these are their difference. but you looking SSD for your laptop. I would advise you take a look mSATA3.0, its R/W performance can reach around more than 500MB/s. hope this can help you a little.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users