Hard disc drive mobile racks

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Orinda

Orinda

• 15 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

What are the best models of IDE and SATA mobile-racks for Linux?

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

For Linux? I don't think the OS is aware most racks even exist-- most hotswap racks are purely dumb devices.

Any extra features, at most, are purely passive pins to power activity LEDs or whatnot-- there isn't any other logic onboard.

Unless you mean something that is actually USB connected and hence has to have a USB bridge or something?

Could you please be more specific on what you actually need and its configuration? Especially if it's a single-drive hotswap or a multiple-drive hotswap enclosure, since multiple-bay enclosures are much more likely to have a bridge or expander chip of some sort.

#3 Orinda

Orinda

• 15 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

For Linux? I don't think the OS is aware most racks even exist-- most hotswap racks are purely dumb devices.

Any extra features, at most, are purely passive pins to power activity LEDs or whatnot-- there isn't any other logic onboard.

Unless you mean something that is actually USB connected and hence has to have a USB bridge or something?

Could you please be more specific on what you actually need and its configuration? Especially if it's a single-drive hotswap or a multiple-drive hotswap enclosure, since multiple-bay enclosures are much more likely to have a bridge or expander chip of some sort.

Wasn't sure. Linux appears to be quite picky about what it will and will not accept, so I just assume the worst. I'm looking for something like the single HDD ones here:

https://www.google.c...k sata&tbm=shop

Hot swap is useless to me, due to the setup I plan. I'm needing SATA 3Gb/s sort. I'd prefer mobile-racks made of metal, with fans, to at least lessen heat problem associated with their use. I'll be trialling many Linux distros (each on its on dedicated hard disc), so the mobile-rack is to facilitate this, and it must be sturdy. Any other questions, just ask. Thanks for any help!

#4 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

Your link doesn't work...

Given your proposed use, just wander over to Newegg and pick up whatever they have from the bigger vendors such as Supermicro, Chenbro, or AIC. However I don't think those guys (who are enteprrise-oriented) do much... so more likely for single-drive use, something from IcyDock or one of the smaller vendors.

#5 Orinda

Orinda

• 15 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

[quote name='continuum' timestamp='1380564873' post='284308']
Your link doesn't work...

Given your proposed use, just wander over to Newegg and pick up whatever they have from the bigger vendors such as Supermicro, Chenbro, or AIC. However I don't think those guys (who are enteprrise-oriented) do much... so more likely for single-drive use, something from IcyDock or one of the smaller vendors.

So is IcyDock the best brand for single HDD mobile racks? I'd been considering:
Kingwin KF-201-DF
" KF-1000-BK
SNT-SAS136B
Vantec MRK-300ST-BK
iStarUSA T5F-SS
iRack MRA300
...but was hopelessly deadlocked.
My link works when I click it-tried twice, worked both times.

#6 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

No, not at all. However IcyDock is pretty popular in consumer space (as opposed to enterprise/server space).

I suspect IcyDock, Kingwin, Vantec, iStarUSA, etc. all buy from the same OEMs anyway. :P

(and I get my usual iGoogle page when I hit your link, not your search...)

#7 housewares

housewares

• 67 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:42 AM

Hot swap is useless to me, due to the setup I plan. I'm needing SATA 3Gb/s sort. I'd prefer mobile-racks made of metal, with fans, to at least lessen heat problem associated with their use. I'll be trialling many Linux distros (each on its on dedicated hard disc), so the mobile-rack is to facilitate this, and it must be sturdy. Any other questions, just ask. Thanks for any help!

One vendor marketing drive racks, specifically at forensics use, is Wiebetech-CRU, usually high build quality but also high price. Addonics is another mix & match outfit like StarTech, who combine or re-badge various parts from elsewhere; the sturdiness isn't quite professional grade though. I own a lot of Icy Dock stuff and wouldn't call those rugged or durable by any means. Consider just going with eSATA docks and some silicone carrying cases/trays.

#8 dietrc70

dietrc70

• 106 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

I recommend the Supermicro CSE-M35T or CSE-M35TQ (managed). They are compatible with 6Gb/s SATA and SAS. They are the best quality racks I've seen.

You can get them from server suppliers (I got my two from Wiredzone), and I think Newegg carries the unmanaged version.

#9 JJ Johnson

JJ Johnson

• 65 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:10 AM

Seems the OP wants a single-drive removable rack, so the SuperMicro racks would be overkill. (I have three of the CSE-M35T in my home file server and like them a lot, apart from fairly noisy fans.)

From the sounds of how it will be used, a trayless dock might make the most sense. It's certainly cheaper than having to buy a tray for each drive, and if you don't have multiple trays then you need to install and uninstall drives from the tray each time you change the drive.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817993063

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users