Photo

Am I nuts to be using a 12TB 4 disk RAID0 in my workstation?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HeathFX

HeathFX

• 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

Hi guys,

This is my first post here, but I wanted someone else's thoughts on my situation.

I have my workstation with an SSD for my OS and software, then an array of 4 3TB disks for my docs, video editing, VFX assets, etc.

I was using an nVidia fakeRAID5 up until now, when I attempted recreate my array to add a new disk, only to find out my nVidia fakeraid only will only allow a volume with a max size of 6TB, when I should be able to do 9TB.

I have enough storage space between my 2 external hard drives to backup everything, so my question is:

Am I crazy to setup my 4 internal 3TB drives in software RAID0 with microsoft's disk utility, which results in an awesome 665 MBps sequential read and write performance, then setup sync toy to replicate my data to my external backup drives? My disaster recovery plan consists of changing the drive letter of my external drive to the one used by the big array while I fix the array and copy data back to it.

This should work, but do you guys think I'm missing anything?

Thanks!

#2 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 405 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

I don't see a problem with it since you're keeping a mirror of it on external drives. If you need the speed and space, it's worth it.

The Windows striping actually works pretty well.

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Vishera 6350/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/2x Radeon 7950 Crossfired
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#3 erb

erb

• 46 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

Agreed ^

I would not feel good about that large array with NVIDIA's controller. But the backup plan should work. Can't think of anything better anyways. Although, the acid is kicking in...

#4 HeathFX

HeathFX

• 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:39 AM

Thanks for the input! So far everything is working, but now I can't trust one of my external drives. I used it to temporarily store some of my stuff while I was re-configuring my computer and when I started copying data back to the monster RAID0 :) I found that the process hung up on 3 different files and finally timed out after something like 15 minutes, asking me to skip the files because they could not be read.

Now my backup solution is degraded until I get a new ext drive, I just can't win :-/

If I had money for hardware and the electricity, I would just build a proper FreeBSD file server and run ZFS RAID-Z2 with check-summing, scrubbing and snapshots turned on. Then I could rest much easier at night. I wish BTRFS was stable, because I really like debian linux. Last time I tested ZFS on debian (which was a nightmare to even get installed), it was with a machine that had 32GB of ram and only 2TB of storage, but no matter what I did ZFS would eat up all the memory and cause the system to barely function.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users