Samsung Magician 4.2 and Data Migration 2 Overview Discussion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SR Writer

SR Writer

• 147 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

Along with the release of the Samsung 840 Evo SSDs, the company is also updating its software suite which includes Data Migration software and more significantly, Samsung Magician 4.2. While Data Migration is designed as a simple solution for users who need to upgrade from their existing drive to their new Samsung SSD, the Magician software is a management suite for optimizing, tuning, and keeping tabs on the health of the SSD. Essentially, Samsung's goal is to make the upgrade process as simple a transition as possible so that a novice or even a first-time upgrader can easily accomplish the task.
Samsung Magician 4.2 and Data Migration 2 Overview

#2 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

Looks like 4.2 is not yet live. Only see 4.1 Samsung's site. Did you guys have a pre-release version?

#3 TraderJoe23

TraderJoe23

• 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:38 PM

When migrating to SSD from HDD does Samsung Magician 4.2 utilize Trim support for the new SDD in Windows 8?

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

When migrating to SSD from HDD does Samsung Magician 4.2 utilize Trim support for the new SDD in Windows 8?

The drive supports TRIM regardless of how you get the data onto it.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

#5 SR Writer

SR Writer

• 147 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

Looks like 4.2 is not yet live. Only see 4.1 Samsung's site. Did you guys have a pre-release version?

Yep, we had a beta version as Samsung continued to work out kinks. We were initially told the release would be sooner, but now on the Magician downloads site it reads, "Notice: Official release of Magician 4.2 will be tentatively postponed until late August in order to ensure compatibility with all devices."

#6 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

Yep, we had a beta version as Samsung continued to work out kinks. We were initially told the release would be sooner, but now on the Magician downloads site it reads, "Notice: Official release of Magician 4.2 will be tentatively postponed until late August in order to ensure compatibility with all devices."

Thanks.

Another question:
Is the RAPID Performance on a 840 EVO on a 3Gbps port also drastically improved (I assume)?
My question is the 840 EVO with RAPID the best performaing SSD to buy for an older 3Gbps (laptop-) system?

#7 SR Writer

SR Writer

• 147 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

Thanks.

Another question:
Is the RAPID Performance on a 840 EVO on a 3Gbps port also drastically improved (I assume)?
My question is the 840 EVO with RAPID the best performaing SSD to buy for an older 3Gbps (laptop-) system?

RAPID mode should enhance transfer rates regardless as it utilizes DRAM from the host system to drive performance.
Check out our 840 EVO review for more on that.

#8 compwizrd

compwizrd

• 407 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

Have they fixed the annoying UAC prompt on login? When a user without admin priv's logs in, it prompts for UAC escalation. I just removed the magician software via msconfig, but a better fix would be to run as a service if it's needed.

#9 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:54 PM

The 4.2.1 version is now live and ready for download. Also, my 250GB 840 EVO is on the way from Newegg ($161).

#10 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:34 AM

Excellent, good luck with it!

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

#11 fallbreak

fallbreak

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

Installed a 250GB 840 EVO in a Lenovo T530 (i5-3210M/4GB)
Enabled RAPID. Mind blown.

Attached Files

#12 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

Hah, not bad for a little piece of software ;)

Brian

Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users