Samsung 840 EVO SSD Review Discussion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SR Writer

SR Writer

• 147 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

The Samsung 840 Evo is the company's latest mainstream SSD that differentiates itself in the market with features and components that benefit from Samsung's vertical integration approach including its own 19nm 128Gb TLC NAND, proprietary firmware and newest-gen multi-core MEX controller. Capacities on the 840 Evo range from 120GB all the way up to a full 1TB model, and the drive also implements an updated version of Samsung Magician (v. 4.2) that enables users to easily migrate to the SSD and manage it once it's in use. Samsung is also quoting much higher performance figures on the slim, 7mm z-Height 840 Evo than with the previous generation Samsung 840 - up to 1.5-3x the sequential write rates.

Samsung 840 EVO SSD Review

#2 blafarm

blafarm

• 79 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

Thank you for this review.

I was wondering how the 1TB drive would stack-up to the Crucial 960GB M500. On a pure performance basis, Samsung is the clear winner.

However, for Use Cases that actually include massive and frequent writes (like mine) -- I am pretty concerned about reliability. I wish there was a 'real world' method of quantifying the differences in that regard.

At the same time, I find myself swapping-out SSD drives in about the third year of ownership due to capacity or speed improvements in newer models -- but I always find a way to repurpose the older drives.

From that standpoint, I guess I'd only need to achieve three reliable years of performance before these drives would become largely EOL in my infrastructure.

#3 continuation

continuation

• 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for the review.

Is Evo a replacement of 840 Pro? Can you also test its performance after preconditioning?

#4 SR Writer

SR Writer

• 147 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

Thanks for the review.

Is Evo a replacement of 840 Pro? Can you also test its performance after preconditioning?

The Evo replaces the first-gen 840. The 840 Pro is the more performance-focused model and will continue to be available.

#5 arklab

arklab

• 21 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:51 AM

Great review, many thanks.

It appears that this SSD may be a good (great?) choice for the STORAGE (only) drive my HTPC setup, but I'd like verification if possible.

In my new HTPC I will possibly need the ability to record ten (10) HD streams at the same time, while playing back one HD stream.
This will be the maximum with all tuners active at once and will very seldom happen.

Still, my current HTPC manages to keep up with eight using a 2TB SV (video surveillance) drive.
For those not familiar, these drives are SATA 2 (6GB) drives designed to record 24/7, and do not use any error correction, as this is usually not noticeable on video playback.

Any wisdom here?

#6 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

An 840 Evo oughta work fine for your purposes if a trusty ol' 7200rpm harddisk can already do 8 streams...

#7 jameskatt

jameskatt

• 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

Thank you for this review.

I was wondering how the 1TB drive would stack-up to the Crucial 960GB M500. On a pure performance basis, Samsung is the clear winner.

However, for Use Cases that actually include massive and frequent writes (like mine) -- I am pretty concerned about reliability. I wish there was a 'real world' method of quantifying the differences in that regard.

At the same time, I find myself swapping-out SSD drives in about the third year of ownership due to capacity or speed improvements in newer models -- but I always find a way to repurpose the older drives.

From that standpoint, I guess I'd only need to achieve three reliable years of performance before these drives would become largely EOL in my infrastructure.

The biggest problem I have with the Crucial M500 is that it uses a lot of energy, even when idle, compared to the Samsung 840 Evo.  This may be crucial when using it for laptops.  

The Crucial M500 has capacitors to insure writing the buffer to disk if power is lost.  But this isn't necessary when using Laptops - where the battery is the uninterruptible power supply. This may be why it uses so much power.

Few SSDs have warrantees that are longer than 3 years.  The warranty ultimately doesn't determine how long this SSD lives.

#8 Daz

Daz

• 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

Hello everyone,

Is anyone getting poor read performance on the EVO when there is data on the drive?

Full details here:

http://forums.overcl....php?t=18615995

Samsung have been contacted but cannot reproduce and have requested a drive from one of us that is seeing the issue.

Just wondered if storagereview or any users here can reproduce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users