• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ERiC1

ERiC1

• 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

Hello,

To cut a very long story short I have just purchased a ML350e G8 HP server. I opted for the SATA hotswap version as its a fair amount cheaper and takes SATA drives. I also have a SOHO NAS/SAN device so wanted to be able to swap drives when interchanging.

I upgraded the NAS and used 2 disks (out of 4) to put into the HP kit. Within seconds it said predictive drive failure, which I thought was odd as they came out of my working NAS>... I swapped these for the other 2 in various orders and the ML350 refuses to accept them fully failing drives at various points.

The Samsung drives are 1TB (2 of them) and all they seem to have done is fail.

Do I need to use HP drives in HP servers (Surely not) ?

#2 ERiC1

ERiC1

• 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:06 AM

Hello,

To cut a very long story short I have just purchased a ML350e G8 HP server. I opted for the SATA hotswap version as its a fair amount cheaper and takes SATA drives. I also have a SOHO NAS/SAN device so wanted to be able to swap drives when interchanging.

I upgraded the NAS and used 2 disks (out of 4) to put into the HP kit. Within seconds it said predictive drive failure, which I thought was odd as they came out of my working NAS>... I swapped these for the other 2 in various orders and the ML350 refuses to accept them fully failing drives at various points.

The Samsung drives are 1TB (2 of them) and all they seem to have done is fail.

Do I need to use HP drives in HP servers (Surely not) ?

In follow up to my last post.. I have swapped to the new drives I purchased for the NAS device.. Now these were new and were "nas aware" but seem to be working without error.... I am not sure on the specifics of "NAS AWARE" but I wouldn't have expected this to be the silver bullet to my problems.... Once up and running I will swap the Samsung drives back to the NAS and see what happens.

#3 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 403 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

Check the SMART data on the "predicted failure" drives....

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users