Refreshing a HDD?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tfisgnag

tfisgnag

• 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

My knowledge on storage media are not very deep but some days ago, after buying a new HDD (About 600 GB) I loaded and configured a Linux distribution on it.
I would now like to repeat the loading and configuring experience but this time, taking notes and snapshots from the screens.
But before doing that I would like to be sure the HDD is in the same state as it was when I just bought it.
Can you please tell me what is the procedure I should follow with the HDD to bring it back to its "out of the manufacturer's state"?
If this is not the right place to submit this problem I'm dealing with, can you please provide me with a URL where I can get an answer?

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

Load your manufacturer's drive fitness tools and use whatever option is appropriate to completely erase the drive.

However for your purposes a simple wipe of all partitions and boot data on the drive should be sufficient.

#3 tfisgnag

tfisgnag

• 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

:) Hi continuum!:

:) Thank you very much for your reply.

I must confess that I was so anxious about repeating the loading and configuring experience that while I was waiting for somebody to answer my question I used the partition tool I had on another LiveCD Linux distribution and by means of the trial and error method managed to turn the 596.17 GiB of the HDD (that has always been the exact size of the HDD) into an unallocated partition and file system 596.17 GiB large.

My HDD was bought without drive fitness tools, so after reading your reply I googled for "HDD_brand drive fitness tools" but haven't found them yet. Up to now I have only found diagnostic tools.

Is it really necesary for me to continue with my search? or, can the steps that I have described in the previous paragraph be considered as "bringing the HDD back to its out of the manufacturer's state"?

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Thank you for your time. :)

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.png   26.06KB   2 downloads

Edited by tfisgnag, 04 July 2013 - 09:49 AM.

#4 FastMHz

FastMHz

• 403 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

For your purposes of clean OS installation, deleting the partition table via Linux does the job. If you were trying to destroy the data irrecoverably, this would not be even close to adequate.

Production: Vishera 8350/32gb RAM/Dual SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7750
Gaming: Phenom II 955/16gb RAM/SSD/VelociRaptor/Radeon 7950
Retro: K6-2 550/256mb RAM/160gb HDD/CompactFlash/3DFX/ATI AIW Pro/SB16/DB50XG
http://www.fastmhz.com

#5 tfisgnag

tfisgnag

• 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:18 PM

FastMHz:
Thank you very much! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users