• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 erb

erb

• 46 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

ESXi 5.0

With both cards in with an array, only the first card to initialize will POST. The second card will say it was successfull, but the POST only takes about 5 seconds instead of 30+ like normal. The system does detect the array with lspci, but there is no driver loaded.

I have tried combinations of different PCI-E slots which only changed the boot order.

This is my only host at the moment so I can't shut it down till later.

I know these cards are compatible so it is the motherboard causing the problem. I didn't see much in the BIOS for an IRQ setting or something.

http://www.intel.com...erver/s5000psl/

Edited by erb, 28 June 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#2 dietrc70

dietrc70

• 106 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

ESXi 5.0

With both cards in with an array, only the first card to initialize will POST. The second card will say it was successfull, but the POST only takes about 5 seconds instead of 30+ like normal. The system does detect the array with lspci, but there is no driver loaded.

I have tried combinations of different PCI-E slots which only changed the boot order.

This is my only host at the moment so I can't shut it down till later.

I know these cards are compatible so it is the motherboard causing the problem. I didn't see much in the BIOS for an IRQ setting or something.

http://www.intel.com...erver/s5000psl/

Be sure that the bios is set to legacy mode and you aren't using UEFI The 3805 isn't compatible with UEFI. Also make sure sure that the firmware on each of the cards is updated.

#3 erb

erb

• 46 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

I did overlook the firmware. I'm pretty sure the 3805 is updated, not sure on the 6805E. The board is socket 771, no UEFI. Thanks

#4 erb

erb

• 46 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

It turns out the onboard SATA controller was preventing the Adaptec card from POSTing. I thought I had already tested that, but apparently not.

I moved my SSD array - 6 x Vertex4 128GB RAID10 - to my ESX box (since there is only one now). I was running them in a NAS over the network (2Gbps), but network latency kills me. Life is too short to use slow computers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users