APC Back-UPS Pro 500 Lithium Ion Review Discussion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SR Writer

SR Writer

• 147 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

The APC Back-UPS Pro 500 (BG500) is a UPS system designed for SMBs and home networks that provides 300W/500VA of battery backup for up to four outlets, and is unique in the market with APC's Lithium Ion battery implementation. At 300W, the device could potentially backup a workstation, but beyond that, APC envisions many end-customers utilizing the BG500 to support networking equipment which is easily within its range. The BG500 delivers battery backup power that APC quotes from 51 minutes at 25W to 6.7 minutes at 180W, which enables networking and other computing equipment to maintain continuous operation even during lengthier power outages. Of course, as a UPS it also provides protection from surges and spikes.
APC Back-UPS Pro 500 Lithium Ion Review

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,566 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:50 PM

Actual uptime testing would be a nice addition-- some devices, even modern power supplies with PFC, don't always get along well with UPS's when the UPS is near max load.

Also some o-scope pr0n of the output waveform would be nice. ;)

#3 compwizrd

compwizrd

• 413 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:02 PM

Agreed, it'd be interesting to see if they've changed their inards back to the older style Back-UPS's. Older Back-UPS's run PFC power supplies just fine, but their newer units just drop the load. We switched over to the PFC friendly Cyberpower's because of that(and they're cheaper, added bonus), and even on the server side I'm now considering switching away from our Smart-UPS's.

#4 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:36 PM

I'd be more than welcome to loading the UPS up with some gear to see how it handles PFC power supplies. Anything popular of note that I could use that is particularly picky?

#5 compwizrd

compwizrd

• 413 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:27 AM

Many modern Antec power supplies seem to trip out the Back-UPS's. My Corsair HXsomething doesn't.

I dumped Antec because they abandoned the Sonata line, and because of the extremely high failure rate(close to 100%) on the SmartPower/TruePower units a few years ago.

#6 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,566 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

I'm not sure off the top of my head unfortunately, but sounds like you guys have enough equipment around that hooking some of that up might be a good start.

Xbitlabs or Jonnyguru, or SilentPCReview, might be a good place to start on equipment that is more or less picky, see what's in their forums? Xbitlabs in particular used to test all their power supplies on a UPS and note what maximum load they could get the PSU to while on UPS power.

Looks like you can grab a USB oscilloscope for $250 or so, then seeing waveforms at no load, low load, and near full load...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users