• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lain Robertson

Lain Robertson

• 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

Hi folks,

I've been considering purchasing a Dell PowerEdge T320 (product link here; reference manual here in PDF form) for my home environment, but pivotal to this is whether or not there are any consumer-grade SSDs - possibly such as the Intel 320 series reviewed on this site (which also mentioned being hot-swappable), suitable for the drive enclosure (preferably the 16 x 2.5" bay option).

Being hot-swappable doesn't seem to be high on the marketing agenda, to the point I wouldn't have even known the Intel 320 was if it weren't for the review on this site, in which case are there any other consumer models that fit this profile? Is there any general advice about SSDs being hot-swappable, i.e. are they all potentially so? I have little experience with SSDs outside of the Corsair Force GS240 I have in my Hyper-V host.

Common sense tells me that if it's not advertised then it's not going to be hot-swappable, but again, that's where the reference to the Intel 320 comes into play, as Intel's own literature (or what I've read of it) doesn't mention that at all, so I figured it was worth asking the question here. I'll likely also ask the Dell "chat assistants", but I'm not overly enthusiastic that I'll get someone who can answer this with authority.

Cheers,
Lain

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,549 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:57 AM

The SATA spec includes hot-swap as part of it. Just about any drive with the controller in the correct configuration (AHCI or RAID) with appropriate OS support should be hot-swap friendly.

However, if this is for production use and you are concerned about compatibility, then consulting Dell's hardware compatibility list would be strongly recommended.

#3 Lain Robertson

Lain Robertson

• 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:45 AM

Hi Continuum,

Thanks for the reply - I didn't know that (about the SATA spec).

For argument's sake, would I then be reasonably safe in assuming that the Corsair Force GS240 (which I have one of now and find performs quite well) should place nicely with a hot-swap carriage? Or do some brands have a better reputation that others?

I'm only really asking that out of curiosity as I'd be happy with almost any brand's SSD ahead of a mechanical unit. In any case, based on your answer about SATA in general, I think I'll proceed with either the T320 or T420 while they're still on sale. For reference, the OS would be Hyper-V Server 2012, so the recognition should be fine though I'll do a bit more checking on the controller options before committing.

Cheers,
Lain

#4 Brian

Brian

SR Admin

• Admin
  • 5,231 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

The Corsair is a fine drive, if you're happy with it, go for it.

Brian

Publisher- StorageReview.com
Twitter - @StorageReview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users