• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dave A

Dave A

• 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:13 AM

Hi there,

I'm a RAID novice so please bear with me...

I have some very specific constraints.

I have an HP DL360 with 10 1.2 TB 10K disks - the max this box will take. I need RAID and I need around 9TB useable. The workload is predominantly large sequential write and random read. I'd like to reserve a drive for OS and swap. I'm looking to get the best balance of read/write performance.

My thought therefore is to use RAID 5+0. I am thinking of 3 RAID 5 sets of 3 disks each, then stripped. Is there a better configuration given the above constraints?

This box comes with these controllers as standard:
HP Smart Array P420i/1GB with FBWC (RAID 0/1/1+0/5/5+0)
HP Smart Array P420i/2GB with FBWC (RAID 0/1/1+0/5/5+0)
HP Smart Array P420i/1GB FBWC (RAID 0/1/1+0/5/5+0)

I'm assuming the 2Gb version is best to help mitigate the write penalty. Any comments on controllers would be welcome.

Thanks!
Dave

#2 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

Three independent RAID5's would work if the box has three independent controllers in it for optimal performance...

If you're only going to have a single controller then that might not work so well. Ten 1.2TB disks and a need for 9TB usable in RAID is going to be tough tho (especially if you reserve one drive for OS), since losing even a single disk in that scenario leaves you extremely vulnerable to an additional disk failure during rebuild.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users