Photo

Update Firmware on Adaptec 5805 raid controller.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Japadave

Japadave

• 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

I am having a real difficult time updating the firmware on this controller. I have tried to make a bootable USB and I failed at that, so I am trying to do it through the storage manager. The firmware is at this link, http://www.adaptec.c..._b18948_exe.htm
This is the latest firmware, or so I am told, but I can't seem to get it to work. Any help would be very much appreciated as I have already spent two weeks trying to get these controllers to work, especially with 4tb disks.

Cheer dave

#2 superlgn

superlgn

• 118 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

The ASM documentation says you should select the Actions menu, Update controller images, browse for the first .ufi file (as580501.ufi), then select the controller(s) and click Apply. Is there an error coming back from that action? I don't think I've ever used ASM to upgrade, just the Linux arcconf utility and a bootable CD with afu.exe.

#3 Japadave

Japadave

• 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:46 AM

The ASM documentation says you should select the Actions menu, Update controller images, browse for the first .ufi file (as580501.ufi), then select the controller(s) and click Apply. Is there an error coming back from that action? I don't think I've ever used ASM to upgrade, just the Linux arcconf utility and a bootable CD with afu.exe.

I did that, but all I have is the .exe file and I am guessing that is my problem.

What I don't understand is that it says to copy each individual .ufi file to floppy disk , but the download only has an .exe file. What is with that?

This is the Documentation on the same page as the firmware download.

"Installation Instruction: The controller firmware can be flashed using Adaptec Storage Manager (ASM) or the flash utility AFU that is included with this download.

AFU Instructions:
Once the files are extracted please copy each *.ufi file individually to a separate floppy disk. If this is not done, you may encounter read errors from one of the files when flashing the controller.
The expanded files can also be copied to a USB device or CD-R.
Shut down the operating system and reboot to DOS from a bootable floppy disk, USB device or CD-R. Insert the media with the update files. Run the flash utility program named AFU.EXE included in this download to backup the current BIOS and flash the new BIOS image. "

Am I missing something here? Thanks for the help so far.

#4 Kdawgca

Kdawgca

Modinator

• Mod
  • 638 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

The exe is self extracting. Double click on the .exe and extract to a location( such as C:\adapt). Should be 10 files extracted that include .ufi and afu.exe/acu.exe

Storagereview.com on Twitter
SSD vs. HDD Guide

• MSI H81M-E33 V2 - Haswell Intel Pentium G3220+ 60GB Vertex 2 / 500 GB HDD/6GB/EVGA 9600GSO/ Windows 7 + VMs//Dell Latitude D410 -1.6ghz Pentium M, 120GB IDE HDD, 2 GB DDR ram.

#5 Japadave

Japadave

• 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

The exe is self extracting. Double click on the .exe and extract to a location( such as C:\adapt). Should be 10 files extracted that include .ufi and afu.exe/acu.exe

Ahh, I see now.

So I did that and tried to update through the storage manager and I get an error. Something like the Microcode failed.

[START_RANT] I am so frustrated right now, why can't anything be simple and work as it is supposed to. Maybe I should go the bootable DVD route. But then I am sure I would come unstuck in imgBurn. I tried making a bootable USB with no luck. Why am I so stupid when it comes to this stuff. [/END_RANT]

Again, any help would be very much appreciated.

Edited by Japadave, 21 June 2013 - 09:24 AM.

#6 Adaptec

Adaptec

• 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

Hello from Adaptec by PMC,

You can try to flash the controller using the MODE 0 force flash option described here:

http://ask.adaptec.c...tail/a_id/13092

If that does not work please call us at 408-934-7274 or open a case online at http://ask.adaptec.com

Thank you,
Adaptec by PMC
Technical Support

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users