• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 swinster

swinster

• 30 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

Hi,

Am am looking for a couple of inexpensive (ideally 2 drive, but will make do with single drive) NAS units which enable 2-way folder synchronisation. This are only to be use in a Home/small office environment.

Essentially, I want to be able to have 2 NAS devices in separate locations in which I want the same files on both device, and that I can write to EITHER NAS unit, then for those changes to be automatically and instantly synchronised with the other device. The 2 devices maybe able to connected directly via the same WiFi network, but otherwise via the internet.

A lot of devices have backup to a second device, or even scheduled rsync or similar, but this is not the same as 2-way folder real-time synchronisations. I found this out after narrowing in on the Synology DS212j/DS213j only to find that this is not supported on this model - shame because this was rated highly and seemed like a really good unit.

Any hints and tips welcome.

Edited by swinster, 16 June 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#2 Kevin OBrien

Kevin OBrien

StorageReview Editor

• Admin
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

Where did you see that it wasn't supported? The DS213J has this listed in the spec sheet:

• Max Shared Folder : 256
  • Max Shared Folder Sync Tasks : 2

#3 swinster

swinster

• 30 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

Where did you see that it wasn't supported? The DS213J has this listed in the spec sheet:

• Max Shared Folder : 256
  • Max Shared Folder Sync Tasks : 2

I contacted Synology directly with this query a short while ago (last month). Their response was:

"At present with Synology our shared folder synchronization is one way only, this does not yet operate in a master / slave configuration. We are however currently developing the ability of a bi-directional folder sync we expect this to be released in a further version of our DSM operating system."

Could the spec sheet simply be the number of tasks that can be set up, not the direction of the synchronisation

Edited by swinster, 17 June 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#4 AcostaJA

AcostaJA

• 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

A  bit oudated thread, but people with same issue must consider using Bitorent Sync or BTsync: is an freeOSS project that allows a sort of personal "DropBox"  synchronizing folders among many devices (pc, celphones, tablet, and NAS servers) while oficially a Beta, is very stable and useful rigth now, you can find it on synocomunity respositories for synology and as install script for other NAS, and native Apps for OS/X iOS Android and more to come.

Edited by AcostaJA, 07 July 2014 - 06:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users